Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium 80 vs 100 amp hour

Found a company selling a lithium starting battery that has 1200cca and 80 amp hours. The 1200cca blows past the requirements for my 200 Suzuki. Is 80 amp hours cause for concern? I see most people here recommend 100ah lithium batteries, then they say they don't come close to draining them.

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...31898133987465

2. Member
    Are all your electronics and pumps run off this battery too? Will your motor accept lithium? If you crank up and run every 3-4 hours you should be OK even with large electronics. Most under 10" electronics shouldn't be a problem at all.

To see if you have enough battery just figure out how many amps you are drawing and then calculate how long the battery will last. For example if you are drawing 5 amps per hour the 80 ah battery will last up to16 hours. 10 amps/hr will be 8. Obviously this is simplistic formula but it should give you ball park.

4. Member
    These batteries from amped outdoors, has anybody tried them? Are they any good?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    These batteries from amped outdoors, has anybody tried them? Are they any good?

It's a company that's (fairly) local to me, just across the St. Croix river in Hudson, WI. They've just started getting into the big battery game, but have been around for a while with smaller batteries (previous name was "Energized Outdoors"). Lots and lots of guys using them for ice fishing applications and having awesome luck with them. The thing that might worry me a bit is the 2 year warranty while other companies are offering up to 10 year warranties, but at 1/3 the cost, how much are you spending on a warranty?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Are all your electronics and pumps run off this battery too? Will your motor accept lithium? If you crank up and run every 3-4 hours you should be OK even with large electronics. Most under 10" electronics shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Yep, all my electronics besides my trolling motor. I would think any lithium battery that exceeds the minimum CCA would work for a modern motor. My outboard also has an efficient alternator, at 1000 rpm I'm already seeing >14 volts.

I did do the amp calculation and I SHOULD be fine. I was just more so trying to see why everyone here pays extra for the 100 amp hours. Just want to see if I'm missing anything. Is it a case where 100 amp hours is truly needed? Or is it more so people just exceed what they need.

7. Member
    Great response time from them. I messaged them on Facebook. This was their reply:

Hello Jerry. Thank you for reaching out. I have an FLW bass guy testing the 60AH prior to releasing the 80Ah and he never had power issues. The 80Ah is pefect for your situation. The alternator is perfect as well as the charger on AGM mode. Float will not be a factor since the battery will cut off at 14.4v charge. Thank you!

The charger I have that he was referencing is a Minn Kota 460PC. I was asking if float charging would damage the battery. The Minn Kota 460PC in AGM mode outputs 14.4 volts charge, which should be sufficient for most lithium batteries. I've seen my alternator go as high as 14.7 (normally 14.4-14.6) and they say that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Yep, all my electronics besides my trolling motor. I would think any lithium battery that exceeds the minimum CCA would work for a modern motor. My outboard also has an efficient alternator, at 1000 rpm I'm already seeing >14 volts.

I did do the amp calculation and I SHOULD be fine. I was just more so trying to see why everyone here pays extra for the 100 amp hours. Just want to see if I'm missing anything. Is it a case where 100 amp hours is truly needed? Or is it more so people just exceed what they need.
    I think your electronics are gonna be what makes the difference, and to a lesser extent your fishing style and how much "work" your motor does in charging. Just as an example, I'm looking at upgrading this year / switching to 'Birds. I was looking at Solix units. If I were to get 12" Solix, I'm looking at 2.88 amp draw per hour per unit, or 5.76 amps per hour with both (not counting however much 360 takes). If you fish for 10 hours, that's damn near 60 amp-hours of capacity gone. If you don't move around much, or your motor doesn't have an alternator (mine does not, it's an older Merc with a stator that really only charges enough to maintain the battery for the motor), you might run into issues based on that alone. Once you add in livewell pumps (I've got two Attwood T800 which pull 3 amps each), and other incidentals like nav lights, bilge pump (what if it's raining?) charging a phone, Hydrowave if you use it, etc.

The Helix 12s are "only" 1.75 amps per hour each, but even then you're at 35 amp hours gone in 10 hours not counting anything else. Add in livewell pumps, even if you figure they run half the time at 3 amps per hour each, so call it 3 amps per hour total, that's another 30 amp-hours gone. Of course there are guys running 3 and 4 graphs, and there are times when you need to run the livewell pumps constantly for the whole day.

The good news is that a lithium battery has nearly twice the "usable" amp-hours for a given rating than a traditional battery due to voltage drop / discharge profiles (traditional voltage drops too low at roughly half charge, while lithium maintains full voltage til the end when it falls off the table), so you do actually get full usage of the rated capacity. Another thing worth mentioning is that you can save on the units by running them at less than full brightness or putting them in standby while not actively using them.

Of course this is all remedied quite a lot if you've got a beefy alternator. I think all the new motors are putting out 50 amps at wide open and not a *whole* lot less while idling, so if you run the motor for an hour throughout the day you haven't lost much at all. You can also use this to your advantage and buy a smaller battery and just bring along a jump starter, then even if things go dead, you can jump it back to life and run the motor for a bit to charge it up.

Not really helping to answer your question, but hopefully at least framing it in a way that helps you make the best decision and understand why other guys make the choices they do. For what it's worth I think a lot of those choices are based on fear, ignorance, or more likely the belief that they'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

If worst came to worst and you have the space, there's always the option of getting two 60 ah ones and wiring them in parallel. No issues then! There's also the option of buying a smaller cranking battery then adding in a dedicated battery for electronics.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    DrewFlu33, that was an amazing response and highlighted all the questions in my head. I already have a Helix 10 at the front, and plan on upgrading to a Helix 12 in the console. I do put the front one on standby when running the big motor, so I'm not using the transducer. I think 80 amp hours should be fine, if I do buy this battery, I will report back with a review.

10. Member
    so older motors without alternators is a bad match to the lithium batteries???
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

so older motors without alternators is a bad match to the lithium batteries???
    I don't think that's the case, though the board's resident Merc guru Don Weed suggests against using AGMs on older Mercs with stators which I don't *think* would apply to lithiums though someone could correct me on that. My point above was that you can't rely on the stator to recharge them any meaningful amount like you can with an alternator, so your capacity at the beginning of the day basically needs to get you through the day. With an alternator, depending on fishing style, that's not really true.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Great response time from them. I messaged them on Facebook. This was their reply:

Hello Jerry. Thank you for reaching out. I have an FLW bass guy testing the 60AH prior to releasing the 80Ah and he never had power issues. The 80Ah is pefect for your situation. The alternator is perfect as well as the charger on AGM mode. Float will not be a factor since the battery will cut off at 14.4v charge. Thank you!

The charger I have that he was referencing is a Minn Kota 460PC. I was asking if float charging would damage the battery. The Minn Kota 460PC in AGM mode outputs 14.4 volts charge, which should be sufficient for most lithium batteries. I've seen my alternator go as high as 14.7 (normally 14.4-14.6) and they say that shouldn't be a problem.

Can you ask them what type of cells they are using. Prismatic, Pouch, or cylindrical?

Also here is another cranking with 100AH and a built in jump starter

https://www.amazon.com/Banshee-LiFeP...s%2C201&sr=8-2
    Last edited by usblitzz; 01-21-2020 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added link

13. Member
    I know quite a few run dedicated graph batteries. Like Drew said u can run them in sync to also make it work.

14. Member
    I installed 3 of their 55ah TM batteries last year in my 2017 621 Ranger. Have been nothing but impressed with them. Also any questions or concerns I have had I would get an immediate response typically.

I knew they were in the testing phase etc for the starting battery last year and was super pumped when seen they finally released one last week. Likely have one in my rig by Spring.

15. Member
    For their 80ah, 1200 CCA the only concern I would have (really, for me personally), would be the charging cutoff voltage. Their website lists the charging cutoff at 14.65 amps. On my 2013 Mercury 150 Four Stroke it puts out 14.6 amps consistently and at times will jump to 14.7 or 14.8. I do not know what the exact results or repercussions of the battery being shut down while running the engine, especially at speed. I do not really want to find out, personally :)

Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post
    For their 80ah, 1200 CCA the only concern I would have (really, for me personally), would be the charging cutoff voltage. Their website lists the charging cutoff at 14.65 amps. On my 2013 Mercury 150 Four Stroke it puts out 14.6 amps consistently and at times will jump to 14.7 or 14.8. I do not know what the exact results or repercussions of the battery being shut down while running the engine, especially at speed. I do not really want to find out, personally :)
    I'm under the assumption that the BMS just doesn't accept a charge in that case and your motor's alternator would deal with it as it does a fully charged battery. Given that it's been designed to work as a marine cranking battery I have to believe they've considered all that. The guys at Amped would have a definite answer on that, though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

If this helps...I run a Relion Lithium 80AH cranking battery..it also runs 3 Live 12’s and Dual Power Poles, live wells..lights..etc. I’ve never depleted the battery to shut off in a day of fishing even with fish in the live wells early. It’s down to around 20 percent charge at the end of the day, that’s according to my reprogrammed dual pro charge indicator lights. It takes quite a bit longer to recharge than the same batteries used in the trolling system.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usblitzz View Post
    Can you ask them what type of cells they are using. Prismatic, Pouch, or cylindrical?

Also here is another cranking with 100AH and a built in jump starter

https://www.amazon.com/Banshee-LiFeP...s%2C201&sr=8-2
    has anyone tries a banshee or know anything about it? chinese made unknown for 700 bucks???
    MAGA

19. Member
    has anyone tries a banshee or know anything about it? chinese made unknown for 700 bucks???
    All of the parts are from China some are assembled in the USA, what differentiates them is the quality of the build components WIRE-BusBars etc. check out the videos in this post:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1027985

I know of 1 BBC member who has the Banshee below is his response to me about it:

"so far it has started everytime, I have used it around 45 degrees, am in the process of adding a new graph all networked so I have not used my boat in about 3 weeks when it was in the low 30s i dont thlink it will get colder than that where I live but so far so good. i suggest you research it and call them because i dont like to recommend products because they are all a guessing game if they will last or have issues. Hopefully these are good. Seems like they raise the price on these. you do have to get a lithium charger"
    Last edited by usblitzz; 01-22-2020 at 09:09 PM.

20. Member
    Here is another cranking battery, I asked what type of cells they are using - Prismatic

https://nexgenbattery.com/shop/batteries/12v-100ah/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast