Casting reel line setup?

Do y'all fellas use straight fluorocarbon, mono or braid.

I have in the past years BUT it's getting EXPENSIVE when i gave to change the line on all my reels each year (sometimes twice) cause i don't fish but 10-15times a year due to weather. Im kinda thinkn about using a 30-40lb braid backing about half the reel and using an Alberto knot to add my mono or fluoro that way i don't use up all of my spools in 1 year.
    Do any other fisherman do this or am i just a mad scientist on this matter?

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I use all three. Monofilament mostly, I just prefer it over fluorocarbon. I use braid on my flipping reels. I still use fluorocarbon on a few reels now but I am switching them out as they get twisted and lose all their memory.

I use Izorline 50 pound braid on my flipping and frogging rods and Izorline Platinum copolymer on everything else. Only 1 time have I ever seen fluorocarbon make a positive difference in fish catches...and that was on super clear Lake Erie. It's way too expensive and way too stiff and unmanageable to use straight on the reel. I do use straight fluorocarbon leader material (much more abrasion resistant and much stiffer than regular fluorocarbon line) as a leader on my Carolina Rigs. But, that's the only time I see any benefit to it.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I've used cheap 6 lb mono as backing for years, even before braid came out. Small diameter line lays smoother on the spool, braid is lighter weight but a more expensive option.

5. Banned
    Mono

6. Member
    Braid with about a 6ft Flouro tip.

7. Member
    Mono is a much cheaper backing option. One thing I’ve started doing is instead of completely replacing fluorocarbon and braid when it gets nicked up or fades is turn it around. I cast it out in my yard and tie what was the end to the mono backing so the faded/nicked up end is on the reel. Makes line last twice as long

8. Member
    Mostly mono+, I don't like the sound braid makes in the guides. If I'm fishing topwater in pads or trash exclusively I'll use braid. It can pull a tree down but it can also bend a reel shaft.

Braid backing can be a big problem if you don't have a spool that allows you to tie the braid "through" it, or don't put a little mono on first - it will slip on the spool. Many know this, but some don't so always worth mentioning.

Like others, I usually just use cheap, light mono for backing. I bought a big spool of the "Zebco" stuff at Wally world for like $2 and it's put backing on many reels for me. I went with 4 lb for exactly the reason Ben suggests above - the smaller diameter lays nicely on the spool and the connection knot isn't nearly as intrusive.

I do tend to run braid on my reels for most techniques (aside from cranking and "dragging" [C-rigs, football jigs, etc.] which get straight fluoro, even then that's over backing). Braid helps with longevity quite a lot, and if you put backing on your reels your braid will go a long way. 75 yards of braid is plenty for really anything and will leave you room for reties, so you can do 4 reels with a 300 yard spool. I do run fluoro leaders on many things as well, mostly to help with noise sawing on vegetation and some better protection from metal dock posts and pike teeth, but this also makes the braid last longer as you're not cutting it off for reties as often. Don't be afraid to try eBay braid from China, either. The manufacturing process has improved in recent years and the no-name stuff is actually really good quality now. I like smoother, quieter braid so have had a lot of luck just finding an 8-strand (carrier) and buying it. Really economical that way.

Braid will last you a long time, at least a couple years with how often you fish. Obviously don't store reels in the sun or anything like that. Also, as 1GThompson points out, you can take the braid off and reverse it to double its life when it wears out on one end. It doesn't break down and wear out on the spool like mono can, so it will be good as new when you reverse it. I've not done it with fluoro as I feel that fluoro gets too kinked up when buried on the spool, but you can certainly try that as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Braid backing can be a big problem if you don't have a spool that allows you to tie the braid "through" it, or don't put a little mono on first - it will slip on the spool. Many know this, but some don't so always worth mentioning.
    Ditto that, both braid and firelines will slip without some sort of Mono backing. This is also true with spinning reels.

Ok... all is great advice, i may just buy some cheap mono from Wally world and go that route... im just trying to figure out a way to NOT have to buy so much fluorocarbon line to respool many of my reels.