Blank Dimensions

How close are blanks usually to their advertised dimensions? The reason I'm asking is I was getting ready to order my components for the blanks I recently received from NFC. The blanks have the correct pattern label on them for the ones I ordered (IM's), but measure exactly the same as the SM's, which is the less expensive model. Is there any way I can determine whether I received what I paid for besides measurements? I mean, how hard is it to put a different label on to satisfy an order. Am I being overly suspicious?

2. Member
    Typically I would say you're being overly suspicious but NFC doesn't have their act together. I've received IM's instead of Deltas, received a swimbait blank instead of a flip stick, had missing labels and had labels that did not match the cardboard tag at the top of the plastic sleeve. My guess is that it wouldn't have been on purpose but a mixup would be likely in my experience.

I agree with willwork, but also would sort of expect blank dimensions for a certain length / action / power to be pretty consistent across their different lines. Are the dimensions different than those published for the IM blanks you ordered? If the rest of NFC's website is any indication, I sort of suspect the dimensions for the IM blanks are missing...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

The dimensions for both blanks are stated. The SM blanks have a butt diameter of .530 with a tip of 4.7. The IM blanks were smaller with the butt at .485 with a tip of 4. I ordered 2 IM's and they both measure exactly what their website shows the SM's measurements are. I feel as if something is amiss here.

Yep, I agree. It does sound like something isn't right.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I agree with willwork, but also would sort of expect blank dimensions for a certain length / action / power to be pretty consistent across their different lines. Are the dimensions different than those published for the IM blanks you ordered? If the rest of NFC's website is any indication, I sort of suspect the dimensions for the IM blanks are missing...
    Different grades of prep-reg and scrim could very possibly vary dimensions even when wound on the same mandrel, but I'm no expert.

What is the best way to get in touch with NFC? I've tried calling to no avail. Will they respond to info@northforkcomposites ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    What is the best way to get in touch with NFC? I've tried calling to no avail. Will they respond to info@northforkcomposites ?
    Maybe, if you can try and get in touch with Steve Pitcock. When I have been able to get in touch with them he's the only guy who's been of help.

steve.pitcock@northforkcomposites.com

There will be little price tag stickers on the butt end of the blank, those are their internal model numbers. He can look up your order and see if that matches the order.

Thanks willwork.

10. Member
    I have had good response from the info@northforkcomposites. Email both to increase odds for response

Well, got a response from NFC.

You received the correct blank. The reason the tip and butt measure bigger is we are trying to do less sanding to minimize weakness. If you need it smaller, you can hand sand a little off, but the less you do the better for the blank. We would let you know if we switched out your IM with a different material.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else

12. Member
    I don't know, did some quick measurements last night on wall thickness of some blanks in the shop. 0.94mm (ML spinning blank) to 1.75mm (swimbait blank). So say the average wall thickness is 1.3mm or so. The difference you're seeing is 1.14mm so if I'm figuring correctly 0.57mm of wall thickness at the butt. That 44% of the 1.3mm wall...seems like a lot. I'd think that'd show up in a significantly increased blank weight over what they would list.

I'd take what they say with a grain of salt, I've had blanks that were switched (got IMs instead of Deltas) that they didn't know about until I told him. Also got a swimbait blank instead of a flip stick...also didn't know until I told them. Their system probably said you got the right blank so that's what they told you. I have also been told a number of times that my blanks would be shipping in the next two weeks and didn't see them for a couple of months.

I would love to be comfortable ordering blanks from them. The ones that I've gotten (eventually) that were straight are fantastic. All of their issues with delivery, quality control and mixups don't make me comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I don't know, did some quick measurements last night on wall thickness of some blanks in the shop. 0.94mm (ML spinning blank) to 1.75mm (swimbait blank). So say the average wall thickness is 1.3mm or so. The difference you're seeing is 1.14mm so if I'm figuring correctly 0.57mm of wall thickness at the butt. That 44% of the 1.3mm wall...seems like a lot. I'd think that'd show up in a significantly increased blank weight over what they would list.

I'd take what they say with a grain of salt, I've had blanks that were switched (got IMs instead of Deltas) that they didn't know about until I told him. Also got a swimbait blank instead of a flip stick...also didn't know until I told them. Their system probably said you got the right blank so that's what they told you. I have also been told a number of times that my blanks would be shipping in the next two weeks and didn't see them for a couple of months.

I would love to be comfortable ordering blanks from them. The ones that I've gotten (eventually) that were straight are fantastic. All of their issues with delivery, quality control and mixups don't make me comfortable.
    I'm going to go ahead and build on these blanks as the quality seems good. They are straight and have the parabolic action that I wanted for the application. Seems to be about as close to fiberglass action without the weight. Probably will give other manufacturers a closer look next time!