Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar

grub and small swimbait baitcaster?

My old medium graphite crankbait rods (B&R Outlaw and Shimano Curado) are really beginning to show their age. What are y'all using for 1/4 oz jig grubs and swimbaits? I use a Curado 70 for a reel with 6 or 8 lb test, but I don't know how many more seasons I'll get out of my rods. Looking for ideas on replacements. I use Powell or Dobyns for most everything else these days.

Phenix Feather in a mh would be a great choice, and would offer you a lot of versatility if you want to use for other things. Available in 6'9", 7'1", and 7'7" depending on your preference. Don't let the MH rating scare you, Phenix rates their rods heavier than other brands. I throw 3/16 Texas Rigs and 1/4 oz swimbaits on mine all the time and it casts and handles them beautifully. It's a neat blend of a soft tip that allows for accurate casting (and skipping if you want) and moving baits, but is also very sensitive.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I’ll check it out thanks

4. Member
    I own a few dobyns...but...I venture off the reservation OFTEN. Although I think you should be using a spinning rod....IF NOT...look at Okuma Scott Martin TCS 7' M+ (jerk/crank) rod. I first got it for a jerkbait rod and bought 2... after using them for some time I now use...1 is used for topwater upto 1/2 to 5/8 and the other is used for small cranks and vibra jig. It would still be used for jerks but I have switched to a spinning rod for jerks to give my left wrist a rest. Really is a great rod...TW had it on SUPER sale but you should be able to find them for under $100 its a STEAL for this rod.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    $119 at TW right now on Closeout