Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daiwa spinning reel

Ive been a lifer Shimano guy but have started to look into some Daiwas. What would make me a good spinning reel in $200 or less range and i dont mind buying lightly used to get more bang for my buck. If theres something sub $200 thats a great reel id be happy with that to. I typically use 3000 size Shimanos and run straight 10lb fluoro on them as i cant stand having to tie more knots and redo leaders with a braid to fluoro setup. Any and all recomendations are appreciated
    They aint got hands, set the hook

You can spend more and shave some weight, but for my money, the Daiwa BG is really, really hard to beat. You don't hear a lot about it since it's marketed as a saltwater reel, but it's a really high quality reel at any dollar amount, especially for the $100 price tag. I've got several of them and actually prefer them to my Tatula LT, for whatever that's worth. Crazy smooth, direct handle-to-gear connection (handle actually screws in, so no play), waterproof drag that's very smooth, etc. The Fuego is another Daiwa reel that's really great and actually pretty far below your budget, right around the same price as the BG.

I've fished the BG side-by-side with the latest gen Stradic Ci4 (literally had two spinning rods on the deck, one with each) and, believe it or not, I think the BG is a better reel. It surprised me several times when I sat down the Stradic and picked up the BG. It just feels more solid and confidence inspiring if that makes sense.

Its only downfall is it's a little heavier than some more expensive models. I honestly don't think weight is a bad thing with a spinning reel...you're not casting it like a casting reel so fatigue isn't a factor, and the weight I think helps make a rod more sensitive/comfortable since it helps to balance, especially with longer rods.

If you want to spend $200 and have the direct competitor to Shimano $200 reels, the Tatula LT and Ballistic LT will be the ones to check. The latter is targeted towards salt fishermen with a deeper spool, so that Tatula is probably the one to check out.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    You can spend more and shave some weight, but for my money, the Daiwa BG is really, really hard to beat. You don't hear a lot about it since it's marketed as a saltwater reel, but it's a really high quality reel at any dollar amount, especially for the $100 price tag. I've got several of them and actually prefer them to my Tatula LT, for whatever that's worth. Crazy smooth, direct handle-to-gear connection (handle actually screws in, so no play), waterproof drag that's very smooth, etc. The Fuego is another Daiwa reel that's really great and actually pretty far below your budget, right around the same price as the BG.

I've fished the BG side-by-side with the latest gen Stradic Ci4 (literally had two spinning rods on the deck, one with each) and, believe it or not, I think the BG is a better reel. It surprised me several times when I sat down the Stradic and picked up the BG. It just feels more solid and confidence inspiring if that makes sense.

Its only downfall is it's a little heavier than some more expensive models. I honestly don't think weight is a bad thing with a spinning reel...you're not casting it like a casting reel so fatigue isn't a factor, and the weight I think helps make a rod more sensitive/comfortable since it helps to balance, especially with longer rods.

If you want to spend $200 and have the direct competitor to Shimano $200 reels, the Tatula LT and Ballistic LT will be the ones to check. The latter is targeted towards salt fishermen with a deeper spool, so that Tatula is probably the one to check out.
    weight has never been a big issue to me. I swing a hammer all day and laugh when i hear guys talking about a reel thats measured in ounces being too heavy. I rarely if ever drop on fish, im usually casting a shakeyhead so casting distance and smoothness in a fight is what matters most to me. I cant stand a reel thats stiff while reeling like the sustain i recently tried. Ive been using the old white stradics for years (i prefer them to the ci4’s), theyre finally starting to show their age a little although still fully functional
    They aint got hands, set the hook

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    Ive been a lifer Shimano guy but have started to look into some Daiwas. What would make me a good spinning reel in $200 or less range and i dont mind buying lightly used to get more bang for my buck. If theres something sub $200 thats a great reel id be happy with that to. I typically use 3000 size Shimanos and run straight 10lb fluoro on them as i cant stand having to tie more knots and redo leaders with a braid to fluoro setup. Any and all recomendations are appreciated
    Tatula LT, Ballistic LT...my personal favorite in that price range: Daiwa Theory 2506 or 2508. The new Stradic FL is being touted as almost Stella smooth at the $200ish price point. They really did a complete overhaul on that reel.

Tatula LT and Ballistic LT are both really solid performers. Tatula LT is well under your budget with available discounts, Ballistic LT is very close. The Ballistic shaves some weight, but the Tatula LT has proven itself time and again with a lot of folks who fish them regularly. It is an impressive reel at its price point.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

X2 on the BG reels. Definitely not talked about in the bass fishing world as much but are super incredibly smooth and very durable. They taken a beating so far and work as good as the day I took them out the box. Thoroughly impressed for 100 bucks!

7. Member
    Tatula LT

8. Member
    I've been looking at the Daiwa's myself recently, The Tatula spinning reel seems really nice, but frankly the Fuego sells for almost $70 less and feels just as good to me. I have not used either but I can get two Fuegos for nearly the price of one Tatula. They're all good - it depends on your budget.

9. Member
    If you can stretch your budget to $300, you should be able to get into a Certate LT by emailing some of the online stores. The Certate LT is on another level than the Ballistic LT and Stradic CI4s, and is damn near as smooth as a Stella FJ.

I have always used Shimano Stradics and I wanted to try a Daiwa so I picked up a Kage from Tackle Trap and I have been really impressed with it. Very smooth and has a fantastic drag system for such a small reel. Throws light baits much better than I expected as well.

11. Member
    The Daiwa SS 700 , 1300 and 1600 are work horses. Tried and true, they never let you down.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I've been looking at the Daiwa's myself recently, The Tatula spinning reel seems really nice, but frankly the Fuego sells for almost $70 less and feels just as good to me. I have not used either but I can get two Fuegos for nearly the price of one Tatula. They're all good - it depends on your budget.
    The fuego has a ton of frame flex when reeling in a fish. IMO, i could not recommend a fuego lt spinner.

13. Member
    Another vote for Tatula LT, I upgraded from Stradic CI4 2500 to 1000 and 2000 Size Tatula LT. It is super light weight and pair well with Finesse or Ultralight fishing. If you gonna fish heavy BG might be good. The weight of reel is important for balancing the Rods. Ballistic is Tatula with Magsealed and a few added. I don’t like mag sealed since I plan to service the reel myself.

14. Member
    Tatula LT all day long at that price point. Workhorse reels and incredibly light

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
    The Daiwa SS 700 , 1300 and 1600 are work horses. Tried and true, they never let you down.
    I agree but with one caveat ......... The SS series has a HORRIBLE bail trip. If you close the bail manually with your hand (as most do) it isn't an issue. If you're one of those who turn the handle to close the bail they are a real PITA.

I have several Tatulas and they are hard to beat.

16. Member
    Tatula LT
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

17. Banned
    as good as the SS Daiwa spinning reels once were, they are outdated. The lack of a solid anti reverse is a HUGE bummer! Always has been

18. Member
    i just refreshed all my spinning reels with the BGs and couldnt be happier... can be found on ebay for ~$80

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    as good as the SS Daiwa spinning reels once were, they are outdated. The lack of a solid anti reverse is a HUGE bummer! Always has been
    I have to agree that the Daiwa SS reels are outdated. I used them years ago and at that time they were as good or better than most reels on the market but with the loose feeling anti reverse they are not up to the quality of newer designs.

20. Member
    Check out Alan Hawke's reel review of the BG, he really likes it and will tell you more than you would ever want to know. I have always been a Shimano spinning guy but I am seriously considering a Tatula.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast