Green Book movie

Probably way behind the times but finally sat down and watched it with the wife a few days ago. Really expected to not enjoy it as I figured it would be kinda cheesy. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think they did a great job on it. Got their message across without being preachy or condescending. They let the two main characters have their flaws and imperfections. Really well done. I laughed out loud a few times. Good chemistry between the actors too. Wife loved it also.

Crazy to think we used to have a country not all that long ago where black people could not be out after sunset in some areas nor stay or eat in same establishments as white people. This being MLK Day is a good chance to reflect on the ways we have changed and gotten better. Still a work in progress but its better to some degree.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Probably way behind the times but finally sat down and watched it with the wife a few days ago. Really expected to not enjoy it as I figured it would be kinda cheesy. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think they did a great job on it. Got their message across without being preachy or condescending. They let the two main characters have their flaws and imperfections. Really well done. I laughed out loud a few times. Good chemistry between the actors too. Wife loved it also.

Crazy to think we used to have a country not all that long ago where black people could not be out after sunset in some areas nor stay or eat in same establishments as white people. This being MLK Day is a good chance to reflect on the ways we have changed and gotten better. Still a work in progress but its better to some degree.
    I agree mark, sometimes we forget that not long ago things were very different in the land of the free and home of the brave.

3. Member
    My wife and watched it over the weekend, great movie and good acting.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    Viggo Mortensen is an amazing actor. Go watch Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. You won't believe it's the same person.

Great Movie !

I’ll have to watch this one.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    Great movie with great message. One of the best messages is the power of music to bring us all together.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Viggo Mortensen is an amazing actor. Go watch Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. You won't believe it's the same person.
    He plays different characters well.

9. Member
    Really good movie. We saw it in the theater when it first came out. Five stars.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

10. Member
    Just watched it for the 2nd time last week. Really enjoyed it!

11. Member
    Great movie, and there is NO doubt how far America and the world have came since then.

12. Banned
    Crazy to think we used to have a country not all that long ago where black people could not be out after sunset in some areas

Even crazier to think that we have a country where currently white people don't dare be out after sunset in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
    Even crazier to think that we have a country where currently white people don't dare be out after sunset in some areas.
    Fact is it would not make any difference what color someone is if they are out in the wrong area. Racism is one thing, crime is a whole other subject. I think most can see the differences if they are being reasonable and not trying to stir the pot.

14. Scraps
    Left the movie with a very good feeling. Good flick.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    Enjoyed that movie way more than I thought I would. Very good movie.

Great movie! Like Mark, I did'nt expect anything other than my wife said that it was supposed to be a good movie.
    I love when you discover a great movie all by yourself!

17. Scraps
    Totally different role for Vito Mortensen compared to the bada&& he was in GI Jane.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Fact is it would not make any difference what color someone is if they are out in the wrong area. Racism is one thing, crime is a whole other subject. I think most can see the differences if they are being reasonable and not trying to stir the pot.
    I would agree with this. Do not understand everyones need to "stir the pot" so to speak all the time. This country has come a LONG way.
    Semper Fi

Not the Green Book but something similar. We went to see Just Mercy last Friday and wasn’t expecting to enjoy it but was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

I have an old friend who is a couple of years old than I, who because of life long diabetes has become just a little senile. One day we were reminiscing about growing up in the old Jim Crow days...I grew up both in Dallas TX and Muskogee OK and he in Midwest City Ok. We both had stories about whites only signs and my mom not letting me sit on the big back seat on the city bus and things like that.

So during that conversation, my friend in his somewhat diminished mental state said one of the most profound statements I ever heard. He said, and I quote word for word because I use it as one of my moral compass directions, "You know, all that old shit is still in my head, but one day it just quit making sense".

How true....it just quit making sense.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.