2004 hpdi what is it worth

I have a 2004 250 hpdi. It has new pistons, rings, injectors, fuel filters, fuel pump, the lower unit is good but the compression is low in 1 cylinder so I assume it needs a new powerhead or bored out. What is it worth as it is with trim unit and controls

You have to look at it this way. How much would the motor be worth if it was in good condition? How much will it cost at present to get it to good condition? The difference is how much it is worth now. My guess, not much.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    I bought a 05 250 HPDI for 1K in the same condition for parts, for my 05 300 HPDI that has 2000+ hrs.

4. Member
    Mind sharing how you’ve been able to get that many hours out of your HPDI? Fuel, additives, what application do you use it for, bass boat? That’s an awesome engine life!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITESTROKE View Post
    I bought a 05 250 HPDI for 1K in the same condition for parts, for my 05 300 HPDI that has 2000+ hrs.
    Same here except I gave $1200.
    My question would be why the low compression on the one cylinder with all the new internals?
    You could always part it out and get more out of it.
    If you're interested in getting rid of it, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by duckband417 View Post
    Mind sharing how you’ve been able to get that many hours out of your HPDI? Fuel, additives, what application do you use it for, bass boat? That’s an awesome engine life!
    Most all outboards are good for at least 2,000 hours. The key is using the motor on a regular or constant basis. Then a regular maintenance program. Motors that sit for long periods of time are prone to have to issues.
    My 2008 HPDI series II was sold new in 2010. It’s never been in a shop. I do annual maintenance that includes filters, plugs and lower unit oil change annually and water pump every few years. I use my boat once or twice a week year round so it doesn’t sit long.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I agree that outboard engines can and should last for 2000 hours with regular use and maintenance as the key.
    Sadly it don't always work out that way though.
    HPDI engines have failed due to detonation caused by fuel related issues including poor fuel contaminated with water and or lack of maintenance that can create lean AFR conditions.