Fishing end of February?

Looks like I may be in the R-D and Burlington areas the last week of February for work. Wondering what the typical weather would be like, what fishing is typically like that time of year, and if it would be worth it to extend the trip and look into a guide for a day? If so, any guide and/or lake recommendations?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Looks like I may be in the R-D and Burlington areas the last week of February for work. Wondering what the typical weather would be like, what fishing is typically like that time of year, and if it would be worth it to extend the trip and look into a guide for a day? If so, any guide and/or lake recommendations?
    look up bill manning guide service, bbbill on here
    accuweather.com will give you an idea on climate

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Our weather is unpredictable but should be 55 to 58
    2017-01-06 16.58.36.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Being from Minnesota, that forecast looks pretty dang good to me right now!!!!

5. Member
    Weather (and fishing) are both.. very unpredictable in the winter around here. Late feb and we could be:
    A. deep in a cold snap with water temps in lower 40s
    B. in a warming spell with water temps 52-55
    C. in full blown spring and in pre-spawn fishing mode

That said, most of the lakes here produce great fish for the people who know where to find 'em. If nothing else if the bass bite isn't happening there is usually a crappie pogram somewhere.

The big three in the area are Jordan, Falls and Shearon Harris.. if you're gonna be based near RDU, Falls is the closest and Shearon Harris is furthest away. I've never fished Falls personally. Jordan has about everything a lake can have except for grass and lilly pads, Shearon Harris has both of those in abundance.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

6. Member
    Thanks for all of the info guys, including those that have PM'd me. Much appreciated and why BBC rocks!

7. Banned
    Maybe you will bring us some of that snow. The kids would love it!!

8. Member
    Dont mention snow, this place will go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    Weather (and fishing) are both.. very unpredictable in the winter around here. Late feb and we could be:
    A. deep in a cold snap with water temps in lower 40s
    B. in a warming spell with water temps 52-55
    C. in full blown spring and in pre-spawn fishing mode

That said, most of the lakes here produce great fish for the people who know where to find 'em. If nothing else if the bass bite isn't happening there is usually a crappie pogram somewhere.

The big three in the area are Jordan, Falls and Shearon Harris.. if you're gonna be based near RDU, Falls is the closest and Shearon Harris is furthest away. I've never fished Falls personally. Jordan has about everything a lake can have except for grass and lilly pads, Shearon Harris has both of those in abundance.
    A couple of clarifications here. Yeah, Falls is closest to the airport but I would consider all close and easy to get to. Also, there is now more grass, ie hydrilla, in Harris and almost no Lilly pads. They decided to kill off the hydrilla a couple years ago and seemed to take a few other species with it. There are some pads upstream of the bridge but that is all shallow and not where I would target in Feb unless we have a major warm up for a while before you get here.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Banned
    Our weather has been very predictable for the last 10 years or so, it is warm 99% of the time. We have 11.5 months of summer and 15 days of everything else. Chances are it will be warm when you come. If you don’t mind please bring some REAL winter weather with you. Our climate is miserable. We are having our winter(so called) this week so you should be safe when you come. 3 days of seasonal winter weather and then back in the upper 50s every day there after for a while. I fished daylight to dark yesterday and the high was 36, fishing was very good and it sure did feel nice to actually have to dress on the warm side for a change.

11. Member
    There are some smaller lakes near where you are staying that put out awesome numbers in Pre-spawn. Message me if you're interested.

12. Member
    As a guy who has mainly fished the Catawba chains, any tips for Harris in winter time? Thinking I’m gonna make a trip out there next couple weekends.

13. Member
    dgrabs, PM sent

14. Member
    Well, if I do make it down, I'm sure the cold weather will follow me but I hope not!!!

The trip right now is still in limbo, so I can't plan anything yet. Gotta love corporate decisions............

Again, thanks to all that have reached out to me thus far. Hopefully the trip will eventually get approved and I can proceed. Stay tuned!