4 Blade Prop Question

I have a TR19 with an Evinrude 150 HO on it with a raker 22 pitch prop. It turns 6000 rpm wot. When I'm out guiding and happen to have two extra big guys in the boat (275+each) full tank of gas I have a hard time getting on plane. I would like to put a 4 blade prop on to make it easier. Not interested in top speed. Would I keep the same pitch or go down 1 or 2 ??? Thanks

2. Member
    I don't have the same set up but a similar situation with 2 heavy friends. I dropped 1 pitch with a Bravo and 2 pitches with other props I tried and that worked for me. I was told I could install a Chris Bailey foil and use the same prop but I didn't try that.

Assuming you are running an E-Tec your RPM operating range I believe is 5500 to 5750. You should be able to put a 23 Renegade on there and fall withing that range.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. Member
    I have a 189 TRX with same motor and prop as yours. Mine also runs 6000 RPM's , 61 mph at WOT, fair hole shot, but with only 2 of us in boat and less than half a tank of gas. At the recommendation of Mercury Marine and others, first tried a Bravo 1 FS in a 23P and then a 20P, both of which were too much prop. ( this prop has a 15.25" diameter). Next tried a Merc Trophy Plus 23P which resulted in a poor hole shot, and speed consistently 4-5 mph below rpm's. Borrowed a friends OMC Renegade 23P which was better than props above, but still a bit slow in hole shot and 6-7 mph less than Raker. You may have the same problem with the Renegade, considering that you have a 19' and run with 3 people in the boat.Don't think that the Renegade was offered in a lower pitch. I believe that the real problem is that both of our boats are underpowered. I bought mine new in 2016, at which time 150hp was the maximum. New one's have a 175 limit, and the 18 TRX, which weighs exactly the same as the 189TRX, has a 200 hp limit. I may give a 4 blade one more try, but in a 20P. DAH props recommended a Mercury Revolution 4, 20P, but advised me that it would need some custom work. Hope you find something that works.