Thread: Gator Baks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gator Baks

Thinking about putting Gator Bak bunk boards on my trailer. Any Pros/Cons that I should know about? Putting them on a 2005 Marine Master trailer.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Read the FAQ at https://gatorbak.com/faq/ and watch the video about power loading. I’d love to have a set, but from what I can see and read, they want the trailer deep in the water for loading. That might be okay on a calm day without wakes or current to deal with, but it can be really hard to keep my boat square on the trailer with it in that deep. YMMV.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I’ve had them in my boat for 3 or 4 years now. Love them.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

4. Member
    I have had them on my trailer for over 3 years and I won't ever have anything but them on any trailer I own.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

I do NOT want anything else !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Bit the bullet and ordered gator baks. Very good customer service. Got a 10% discount for being a BBC member.

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I love my Gatorbaks so much I became a dealer, the New Gatorbak XPs are the best ever and no problem power loading if necessary.
    Any one else interested I also offer the BBC discount
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Haven’t had a chance to install on the trailer yet, but put them on New boards and ready to install if this weather ever gets right. Rain every weekend. They seem to be a really good option over the traditional carpet bunks. Question to the ones that have them, any problems with the boat slipping any when backing down the ramp OR pulling the boat out of the water? I’ll probably keep my boat strapped in/out of the water at first for sure... Don’t want to be that guy at the ramp. Lol

9. mikesxpress
    I was the 1st BBC guy to install them in 2014. Now on the latest XP version. If you have any questions about the product bypass the BS and send me an email.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A question for the guys who sell and use them: I want to use these badly. Why does the GB site recommend against power loading if the new ones are okay for it? I had hoped XP version would say power loading was okay, but it doesn’t. Where can I find the company saying power loading is okay with the XP? The way the GB site shows to load would be impossible on a couple of ramps I use, and this is the reason I am holding back on buying them.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A question for the guys who sell and use them: I want to use these badly. Why does the GB site recommend against power loading if the new ones are okay for it? I had hoped XP version would say power loading was okay, but it doesn’t. Where can I find the company saying power loading is okay with the XP? The way the GB site shows to load would be impossible on a couple of ramps I use, and this is the reason I am holding back on buying them.
    I bought a set of Caliper bunk covers (3-16' for 2x6 bunks boxes) and was going to put them on my Ranger trailer, but they advise against using them with a fiberglass hull !! Recommended for an Aluminum hull only !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    Ive had mine on my trailer for 3 years and power load all the time. I’ve had no problems and they’re not showing any signs of wear. I think the trailer makers should ditch the carpet and make the gatorbaks standard on boat trailers. Just my opinion though.

I’ve had my gator backs for 3 years now. Power load all the time, but dip the bunks completely to wet them, then pull forward to correct depth to run boat up onto bunks. Works just fine. Never do I pull up or down ramp without being strapped to bow.

2013 Z9 250 Pro XS 1B936712
    <'/////>< Tie one on... The knots for life.

14. Member
    I also have a 2005 Marine Master trailer for my Triton. If I go with GB on new runner boards do they change the height or mess with boat alignment? Are there any things to watch out for, or is it as straight forward as it looks?

15. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingKY View Post
    I also have a 2005 Marine Master trailer for my Triton. If I go with GB on new runner boards do they change the height or mess with boat alignment? Are there any things to watch out for, or is it as straight forward as it looks?
    straight forward, same hight, happy to awnser questions, 910 722 0001
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

16. mikesxpress
    Revised for XP
    https://gatorbak.com/faq

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingKY View Post
    You may find out how misaligned your bunks are after Gatorbak installation. Carpet hides allot of issues. Example: After my installation on my Z21 Intracoastal I had a 3/16" gap between the hull and two outside bunks. I added 3/8" spacers to those bunk supports to obtain even hull pressure on all 4 bunks. Carpet fluff was hiding that gap previously.

18. Member
    I would want to keep the bow strap connected while backing down a ramp to put in. Trying to figure how that would change my routine at the ramps I frequent. I guess you'd have to just get it in far enough to float it off the trailer, as usual, but you'd have to hop in and disconnect the bow strap and maneuver the boat from there. It's nearly always a solo operation for me, just thinking through the mechanics of it. Recommendations?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

19. Member
    New ones my be fine but I have had them for two years now and will replace them with carpet as soon as the weather is better. I regret getting them every time I have to climb out on the trailer to crank the boat on the trailer.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I would want to keep the bow strap connected while backing down a ramp to put in. Trying to figure how that would change my routine at the ramps I frequent. I guess you'd have to just get it in far enough to float it off the trailer, as usual, but you'd have to hop in and disconnect the bow strap and maneuver the boat from there. It's nearly always a solo operation for me, just thinking through the mechanics of it. Recommendations?
    I never unhook my bow strap until the trailer is in the water whether I’m alone or fishing with someone else. Helped put a boat back on the trailer from the ramp once and seeing that was enough for me!
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast