Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend replacement hooks for Zara Spook

Recommend replacement hooks for Zara Spook

Thanks

2. Scraps
    Me good ol' Gamakatsu round bends in #2.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Thanks

Owner st-36. Gamakatsu ain't what they used to be imho.

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Owner st-36. Gamakatsu ain't what they used to be imho.
    I know they bend, but they are sticky.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    I prefer the owner ST-35, and mount the single hook forward. This eliminates eating the side of the spook up. (150* spread vs 120* spread)

7. Member
    Owner Stinger 3X...and forget your hook worries!

8. Member
    Size 1 EWG. Don't mess around..

9. Member
    Owner STX-45 Zo wire. Stickiest 2x strong treble I’ve found

The Owner ST-36 are the ones I've had a lot of luck with, so agree with those suggestions. I go size 2 with them. Several different options from Owner that I'm sure are all good. For me it's a matter of buying the *needle* point, and not the cutting point. I swear the cutting point "cuts" a bigger hole in the fish's mouth and causes you to lose fish. The ST-35 is similar, but with a wider gap and shorter shank. I've not tried it on a Spook, but would probably go size 1 if I did. I know that Owner has newer "Zo-wire" versions of the above models that are probably even better, so maybe worth checking out those suggestions as well. If you're thinking economy, I've had pretty good luck with size 1 KVD Triple Grips. You'll maybe miss a few more fish than with the ST-36, but you land them if you stick them.

As always, I think the tradeoff you have to consider with any treble hook is between hooking percentage and landing percentage. The wide gap short shank hooks won't hook them as often, but will land them more often. The longer shanked hooks are more likely to stick them, but more likely to lose them. I generally like the longer shanked hooks on topwaters to make sure to stick the fish that slap at it, but have had good luck by upsizing the shorter shanks. If the fish are "eating" it good, you're probably better with the short shanks.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Size 1 on the front and back and smaller on middle hook or leave off

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The Owner ST-36 are the ones I've had a lot of luck with, so agree with those suggestions. I go size 2 with them. Several different options from Owner that I'm sure are all good. For me it's a matter of buying the *needle* point, and not the cutting point. I swear the cutting point "cuts" a bigger hole in the fish's mouth and causes you to lose fish. The ST-35 is similar, but with a wider gap and shorter shank. I've not tried it on a Spook, but would probably go size 1 if I did. I know that Owner has newer "Zo-wire" versions of the above models that are probably even better, so maybe worth checking out those suggestions as well. If you're thinking economy, I've had pretty good luck with size 1 KVD Triple Grips. You'll maybe miss a few more fish than with the ST-36, but you land them if you stick them.

As always, I think the tradeoff you have to consider with any treble hook is between hooking percentage and landing percentage. The wide gap short shank hooks won't hook them as often, but will land them more often. The longer shanked hooks are more likely to stick them, but more likely to lose them. I generally like the longer shanked hooks on topwaters to make sure to stick the fish that slap at it, but have had good luck by upsizing the shorter shanks. If the fish are "eating" it good, you're probably better with the short shanks.
    You can drop the ST-35 down to the ST-36 level using the oval split rings. I do that on some of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    You can drop the ST-35 down to the ST-36 level using the oval split rings. I do that on some of mine.
    Good idea! Reminds me of something I've done that's related to that: I've had some luck putting 2 or 3 split rings on the rear hook when fishing them over open water for smallmouth to get the hook to hang down further and hook them when they nip at it. It works awesome for that, and I think helps with them getting the ring bound up and using it as leverage to throw the bait. Only problem is it needs to remain an open water bait after that, learned that the hard way when I picked one I had done that to up and tried to work it over a submerged grass flat.

I've also heard of folks using braid in place of split rings for similar reasons related to the bind. I've been meaning to try it but never got around to it. I guess you could do that to get the hooks to hang a bit lower as well!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Awesome feedback, Thanks

15. Member
    My first response is “Any”,but after thinking I mostly use the Owner Stingers.
    Red Sox in 6!

Any good quality. size 2 treble hook
    make sure to use a split ring on the hook hanger for the treble

I use the old Excalibur hooks with the rotating hooks

17. Member
    I have used the Excalibur rotating in the past.
    Red Sox in 6!

18. Member
    Pricey, but all my TWs get Diachi Death Grips. Thin wire, reg shank, sharper than sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    Pricey, but all my TWs get Diachi Death Grips. Thin wire, reg shank, sharper than sharp.
    I used to use the hell out of Daiichi hooks, then they completely wiped out their lineup. They were always crazy sharp, even compared to other premium hooks. Seems like like they've just about given up on the bass scene and decided to focus on fly fishing instead. Didn't know they had their trebles still!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Me good ol' Gamakatsu round bends in #2.
    This .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast