When loading your boat, how much tackle is too much tackle?

I know there are million and one variables here but lets see some pics, or some thoughts on this. Just wondering If maybe I'm trying to lug around too much. New to the glass boat world with the 2020 Classic. Unloaded it's a rocket. loaded its a sled. Granted I have only 10 hours of seat time in a glass rig. Last was aluminum and I could pile it all in and it just ran the same regardless.

I carry quite a bit of stuff in mine.
    I find it hard to believe that I got so much in the boat tackle wise until I take it all out for whatever reason. but I have a lot. granted mine is a different model but still carry a lot.
    yours could be just in the set up on the boat itself prop wise or motor height. lots of variables really.
    I have always set my boats up prop and motor height wise to run the best I can fully loaded. just makes things easier that way.

Less is more. Set your rig up for tournament loaded as opposed to light loaded and you won't have any issues. If you set it light it'll never run right tourney loaded.

4. Member
    How it's loaded will make a difference in your Classic. Heavy items you want as far back as possible and leveled.

5. Member
    Iaconallie did a YouTube vid a while back about setting up his boat and how he stores things. I have nowhere near what he has but the shifts that i did make made all the difference in the world. Ive learned how to load the boat "perfectly" for me where i get max ammount of speed and can still deal with the 100+ boat take off waves, high winds, etc. I have 15-17 loaded 3700 series boxes in my Eyra but they dont compare to the weight of the tools, extra prop, oil, etc that you toat around. move that stuff to the back and your boat will ride right.

6. Member
    To me it is not so, how much I need to carry, but what to carry according to what season it is and what is going on. Doing this makes it so much easier to find what I need in a hurry and knowing what I need to restock when I get home.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Whatever your comfortable with. If you feel you need a lot of stuff put it in there. If your looking for speed cut way back and balance the boat. It’s your setup and no one way is right foe everybody
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

I taught my son over the years that all tackle catches fishermen. What you carry should be what catches fish. We as fishermen love to show off our perfectly organized BPS in the boat. In the dead of winter there’ll be boxes of magnum worms as well as topwaters and summer only baits. Regardless of where you put them - weight reduces performance. Ivan taught me to separate tackle into 3 “categories”; 1. What I will use. 2. What I might use. 3. What I won’t use. These change based on season & expected conditions. The will use tackle is stored in front of the consoles. The might use stores behind the seats. The won’t use stays home - organized, but in the garage where it can’t degrade performance. A lighter boat uses less fuel, runs faster, and handles better.

Less stored in the front makes tackle quicker to find for bait changing and more efficient time management. Only rarely do I need the “might use” but When needed, I’m glad it’s there. I’ve never once missed what’s left behind at home. By actively managing tackle storage, the boat boxes stay cleaner and uncluttered. Tackle “creep” had cost me handling and 5-6 mph on top. I got it all back.

I fill my Pantera 4 up. When I add a second guy and all his gear then I see like 4 MPH slower top end and a little less holeshot. The P4 seems to handle heavy loads way better than my (1996) Pantera Classic (with a 150) or my old Skeeter. Every glass boat I have been is affected by the weight added to it....Tin boats not as much because they typically arnt running on a "Pad".
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

10. Banned
    After years of fishing co-angler (I have a boat too), you really only need about 3 plano 3700s of baits and one 3700 of terminal tackle with a hand full of plastics for a day of fishing. I whittled my selection down to this. I do keep extras at the house to refill after the day but I only carry a coangler bag with me for the day.

11. Member
    An old rule of thumb says 100 pounds decreases top speed by 3mph. That is rough, but you get the idea. I can't imagine anyone carrying a hundred pounds of tackle. If you carry 30 rods, that is on the order of 10 pounds unless you have steel shafted rods. I have, over the years, narrowed my tackle selection to what I plan on using, which doesn't change much throughout the year. Everything I carry fits in the tackle organizer tray BassCat installed on my Classic. Maybe that is why I am seeing speeds past 76 by myself, compared to others. :) I doubt I have 25 pounds of stuff. Heaviest thing I have is a lure retriever that is made of lead.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

@Oldtimer - Ivan taught me, all weight slows you down, but location is important. 10 lbs on the bow or 100 lbs on the transom equals 1 mph. By keeping most of my tackle and load “weight” behind the seats, it keeps the nose light. It takes a lot less trim to carry the bow and handling is quicker with less steering input.

13. Member
    I agree that farther forward is bad, as it requires more trim to lift the bow, which is power lost to drive the boat forward. However, when I remove 150 pounds from my boat (my son) my top end (cool air) goes from 74.5 to 76-77. That is in line with what I have always seen. And it is not linear. IE the second 100 pounds might cost you even more. And the third... You are creating much more wetted area as you load up the boat, and the only way to get it back is more power to get you back up cleanly on the pad again. IE you can put enough weight in the boat that it won't even get up on plane, if you try hard enough. Then it will be REALLY slow.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200