Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guntersville Classic // Birmingham // 2 hours

I am scheduled to attend the classic again this year. Last year was my first classic and the drive from the launch to the weigh in was roughly 5 minutes. How far is the drive from the Guntersville launch to the weigh in location in Birmingham? Looks to me like it is 90 minutes +/-........is that accurate? How the heck can they justify that drive distance every day?

2. Banned
    It’s a trip for sure but been a while since I made it.

3. Member
    I am probably the wrong person to respond because I could not give two craps about it other than the fact it is clogging up the lake so I likely will not be fishing that weekend. Your estimates are reasonable. The drive to Birmingham a nice one through some nice rural area. IMO because of the distance having everything in Birmingham makes as much sense as tits on a boar hog.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I am probably the wrong person to respond because I could not give two craps about it other than the fact it is clogging up the lake so I likely will not be fishing that weekend. Your estimates are reasonable. The drive to Birmingham a nice one through some nice rural area. IMO because of the distance having everything in Birmingham makes as much sense as tits on a boar hog.
    I agree....seems freaking dumb as hell. Last year was my first trip but it was awesome being able to watch the guys out on the water, go back and drop off the boat at the hotel and then drive back to the weigh in and the displays at the convention center. I would have to think that the attendance on the water and the attendance at the convention center / weigh in will primarliy be from two different groups of people. Can’t see a lot of people making that trip to do both.

5. Moderator
    I don’t understand it, that’s 1.5 hours each way added to the fisherman and the fact they’ve gotta prepare for the next day, eat, shower they will be lucky to get 4 hours sleep. All for the spectators and sponsors. I enjoy weigh ins at the ramp and release the fish and go on about your day. That’s me tho.
    I’d like to watch blast off and weigh in both but that isnt in the cards for me even as close as I live

6. Member
    Big stage big drive

A lot of them are long drives. Tulsa, Conroe and multiple Guntersville events. They have it down to a science. Most anglers only have to make it twice anyways.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A lot of them are long drives. Tulsa, Conroe and multiple Guntersville events. They have it down to a science. Most anglers only have to make it twice anyways.
    Plus we know all the Alabama fish go to stock Ray’s ponds

Quote Originally Posted by cbp84 View Post
    Big stage big drive
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    I'm not sure what all the whining is about. On the water is about the worst place to watch anyhow. My plan is to see the takeoff on day one, have some eggs and catfish for breakfast and a leisurely drive to Birmingham to catch the Expo and weigh in and stay at Birmingham for the rest of the weekend. Should be great!
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    I'm not sure what all the whining is about. On the water is about the worst place to watch anyhow. My plan is to see the takeoff on day one, have some eggs and catfish for breakfast and a leisurely drive to Birmingham to catch the Expo and weigh in and stay at Birmingham for the rest of the weekend. Should be great!
    I thought this was hello fresh post

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I thought this was hello fresh post
    It was for about 90 seconds.

--Voltaire

13. Member
    Eggs and catfish during the same meal?

14. Member
    Only thing missing is the grits.

15. Banned
    Squires and I gonna be feasting on prefound bass. Should be easy pickins, I may let him bring back a few lbs of filets but I plan on gorging on fresh fish.

16. Member
    If you haven't had catfish fried in bacon grease with a couple of eggs over easy, you got something to look forward to.

--Voltaire

17. Banned
    If you haven't had catfish fried in bacon grease with a couple of eggs over easy, you got something to look forward to.
    How does it compare to a healthy subway tuna?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    How does it compare to a healthy subway tuna?
    It don't smell like taint.

--Voltaire

19. Member
    I’ll take the grits and eggs ...we had a great breakfast south sauty creek last time I was there

20. Banned
    It don't smell like taint.
    Taint any meat I ever smelt

I know, I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast