Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No internet in rural area...what do you do?

According to ATT and a few other websites, my address at the lake is not available for internet. I don’t really need a TV package, but would like internet to stream Hulu or Amazon, plus our cell service is kind of spotty inside the house.

Is a hotspot the only option y’all think, and is it going to be strong enough to live stream tv shows?

2. Banned
    Hughesnet?

Satellite is probably your best option, but it's around $50 a month and not very fast with low data caps. Streaming is out. Two movies and you will hit your cap. Had it when I lived in the country, I think it was a 2GB or 5GB monthly limit. Hot spot can work but you said cell is spotty.

4. Banned
    Have you tried wal marts prepaid phone? Straighttalk I think? I’ve had it work in places other cell services were terrible. Cheap too

Wilson Amplifier. The pro 70 is a nice unit that amplifies a signal. They can be used with any hotspot. I’m able to watch Netflix.

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...BwE#branch-1-2

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

move.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

7. Member
    Viasat, my son has had Hughesnet and Viasat.com is hands down better

We have Viasat and it does ok. No overages for going over data cap they just slow the speed. Streaming works fine just has too much latency for online gaming.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Wilson Amplifier. The pro 70 is a nice unit that amplifies a signal. They can be used with any hotspot. I’m able to watch Netflix.

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/...BwE#branch-1-2

This is what we use as well. Works great, but you need a pretty large data plan from your cell service if you plan to stream alot.

If it was me I’d just get TV there. Last I knew all the satelite internet was data capped. It might not be now of days though.

11. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polywad6963 View Post
    move.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon33 View Post
    our cell service is kind of spotty inside the house.
    Have you tried different carriers ? All cell phone service isnt created equal. A booster will work in certain conditions, but they are not magic. You cannot pull a signal out of thin air with them, but they can amplify an available one. As an example.........................I have tried uscellular and it was a no-go inside my house. Tried to amplify the signal with a $400 booster but it was in vain. Tried an ATT cell phone and I get a 30mbps download speed. Your only downside is the data caps on virtually all cellular plans. I used to go over my allotted 22GB fairly easily and always waited for a throttle down of my speeds. Some months I would go through 80-100 GB and never get throttled down because I was on a low demand tower.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon33 View Post
    According to ATT and a few other websites, my address at the lake is not available for internet. I don’t really need a TV package, but would like internet to stream Hulu or Amazon, plus our cell service is kind of spotty inside the house.

Is a hotspot the only option y’all think, and is it going to be strong enough to live stream tv shows?
    The first thing I'd do is check with any neighbors and see if they have any type of internet service. When we first moved to our semi-rural house, the local cable company website said internet was not available at our address. After trying satellite internet (a waste), I talked with a few neighbors that said they had cable internet (charter). Turns out the Charter website was saying it wasn't available at our house because the previous owners never had the line ran from the post on the corner of the property to the house. It was available, just never hooked up. We've had cable ever since and it's great.
    Moral of the story: don't always trust the provider's websites.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

14. Banned
    Local Library card

15. Member
    I know with the Amazon Prime App you can download content to your phone or tablet when near civilization and then stream it to your TV when you are there. They have an HDMI to lightening adapter for Apples stuff and I assume they do for Android. I imagine other streaming services would do the same type of thing just don’t know for sure.

Might be an option.

16. Member
    There is still lots of lovin’ available on dvds and vhs

17. Member
    Netflix still has DVD and Blu-ray thru the mail and turnaround time is fast.

Sent PM

A friend has no internet service available for several years now has paid for a AT&T hotspot with totally unlimited data from someone on ebay who was grandfathered in and had the foresight to buy about 100 hotspot accounts, and now resells his service. My friend shares his hotspot with a closeby neighbor, and they split the ~$120 bill. He pays that guy directly monthly. He figured the guy was making $50K a year collecting paypal payments.

20. Member
    Have you checked to see if you can get wireless internet? We have several around our area. We pay $50/month and get 3.5g service. It isn't always great, but we can watch Netflix or Amazon Prime with very few issues.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast