Tell Me your P Classic Setup (new versions only)

Have not had much time on the water with my 2020 Classic. Currently it hops up on pad fast with just me and little to no tackle and full tank. When I add tackle another person and their gear it struggles. Slow to 50 and then it starts to take off and really lift up but not quite like it does with just me and light tackle. It has a manual jackplate that is at the factory height which idk. That's on my list to try to play with. It's cold out there so the motivation factor on that is low at the moment. 23 Fury Prop that basscat recommended. merc 200 proxs. Once it finally gets on pad I can get to about 66mph and it is stable, 67 and it walks a little, 68 and it is scary as hell and I have to trim down. When just me and light tackle I use about 1/8 of the trim gauge that seems to be roughly a good spot. Loaded I have to trim up all the way max trim to get it to hit 68. I'm in the 5700-5800rpm range. Forgot to check the exacts on this today. I even got out of my boat and had someone a little more experienced drive it. They hit 68 and said it was scary and not safely drivable at that speed. Now keep in mind that I have little experience in dealing with chine walk but it was walking hard. I keep hearing basscats do not like a lot of trim but that is not my experience so far when it's loaded since i need to fully trim the motor to get it to even lift.

any thoughts, tips etc appreciated.

Seat time is your friend. The first new style Classic I broke in I had to trim in stages. Once the chine begins, bump the trim down a bit and you'll feel the back end raise up as it gets up on the pad. Sometime on some Bass Cats when I'm by myself, I add water to the livewells to settle them down.
    Good Luck and you picked a great Bass Cat.
    PanteraClassic.jpg

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatseller View Post
    Seat time is your friend. The first new style Classic I broke in I had to trim in stages. Once the chine begins, bump the trim down a bit and you'll feel the back end raise up as it gets up on the pad. Sometime on some Bass Cats when I'm by myself, I add water to the livewells to settle them down.
    Good Luck and you picked a great Bass Cat.
    PanteraClassic.jpg
    thanks

4. Member
    You are going to have to learn to drive it. My Classic with the 200 V8, 24 Fury 3, and me alone will hit just over 72. Jackplate at factory height, which is about flush, and about the same rpm's as you. Yes, it gets squirrelly in the high 60's. Fun boat to drive once you get the hang of it. All Cats need to be driven to max out their potential, and are not point and shoot at top end. I looked at some of your posts, and it looks like you are coming out of a Crestliner. You will definitely need some serious seat time.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Beg borrow or steal someone who knows how to drive one and have em give you a 30 minute lesson. It'll save time, frustration and money.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    You are going to have to learn to drive it. My Classic with the 200 V8, 24 Fury 3, and me alone will hit just over 72. Jackplate at factory height, which is about flush, and about the same rpm's as you. Yes, it gets squirrelly in the high 60's. Fun boat to drive once you get the hang of it. All Cats need to be driven to max out their potential, and are not point and shoot at top end. I looked at some of your posts, and it looks like you are coming out of a Crestliner. You will definitely need some serious seat time.
    yeah might have to.

7. Member
    Here is a good article on chine walking. Why it happens and learning how to control it.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Take your time learning to drive your new boat. Enjoy it. Its a performance boat and there is a learning curve.
    Over trimming can cause the chine to come in earlier and harder to control.

Never chop the throttle, always trim down if the chine gets away from you.

As for the boat not performing with the co angler and additional tackle...my advice is to set the boat up and learn to drive it alone. As you improve you will be able to make the necessary adjustments to correct performance issues. JP adjustments, props and such.

As catdude stated, having someone experienced drive with you will greatly speed up learning to control the chine.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs