Service on Yamahas more than 15 years old?

A local Yamaha dealer here refuses to do service work on any Yamahas more than 15 years old. They say it is too difficult to get parts.
    Has anyone else run into this? There are loads of early 2000s Yamahas running. Do y’all have any problems getting service?
    thanks

2. Member
    I'm in Virginia and no issues getting service. I would assume that the dealer and service techs are up to date on the newer sho motors. Not hard getting parts from andy at sims and Boats.net. What year and horsepower is your motor? What service are you wanting to do?
    Message me if i can help.

3. Member
    I suspect the dealer is blowing smoke about parts availability. He is using that as an excuse.

I can see a dealer simply not wanting to work on older stuff, particularly if he can stay busy working on new stuff, but why not be up front about it?

4. Member
    Cant say on service as I do my own but never a issue on getting parts, even old ones, 90's CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    I actually run an ETEC G2. A friend is looking at buying his first boat and was considering a 2006 Ranger 188 with a 150 VMax. Called the dealer to get the motor checked out and they told him about their 15 year rule and they would not work on it after 2021.
    I think he needs to call around to other Yamaha dealers.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I was going to say that one would think that there were multiple Yamaha dealer/Service Centers in the Austin area.

Ran into a shop that had the same philosphy for OMC outboards. Said they were too hard to take apart. I'd take my business elsewhere.
    Wishing I was Fishing

8. Member
    2020 economy pick and choose what they repair. 2009 economy and they would be chomping at the bit for any work...

9. Member
    My 2004 250 HPDI has 73 hours. I better be able to get service and parts. Hoping this will be my last motor ever. LOL

10. Member
    A local Yamaha dealer here refuses to do service work on any Yamahas more than 15 years old. They say it is too difficult to get parts.
    My guess is the service time tied up in the shop.

Older equipment usually ends up needing more parts than anticipated as the little things that age and get brittle or wear out.

Too much in and out to get the bay clear for the next boat, as they order and wait for parts that they no longer stock for the older motors.

That said, his excuse would cause me to look somewhere else for service.

I have an 04 250 HPDI and 04 T8 and have no problem ordering parts from Andy at SIM yamaha.

I have a 1988 Yamaha 225 V6 Excel. SIM has always had the parts I've needed.

12. Member
    Are parts as available for a 2000 Yamaha 2 stroke as for a 2019 Yamaha 4 stroke?
    Maybe not - but, there be a big market in 2 stroke Yamaha OBs and that should drive parts availability.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

I have a 2001 225 VMax only parts I have needed is spark plugs, fuel filters, I did just order the gaskets around the O2 sensor housing. No problems

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I suspect the dealer is blowing smoke about parts availability. He is using that as an excuse.

I can see a dealer simply not wanting to work on older stuff, particularly if he can stay busy working on new stuff, but why not be up front about it?
    What he said. There are two dealers in Rosenberg TX (Krolls Marine, and Sports Marine) that will work on them and more than likely have the parts. They are about 3 hrs from you.

15. Member
    I get parts for my 1989 150 ProV from SIM Yamaha up in WI no problem.

Have also taken it to Marine Outlet in Temple for work I couldn't do - they're a Yamaha dealer. There's also Texas Boat World in Harker Heights also a Yamaha dealer.

Call 'em to see if they will work on your older Yammy.

16. Member
    Yes.. In Middle Georgia. Good luck finding a Yamaha dealer that will touch a HPDI. I've had 3 tell me nope dont bring it here

17. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro tec services and rebuilds yamahas of any age everyday parts are still available for hpdi efi even carbs.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

18. Member
    Thank you all that provided feedback back on this topic. The background was that a friend was considering buying a 2006 Ranger with a Yamaha and trying to figure out where to get it serviced. He ended up buying a different Ranger with an ETEC.
    Your input confirmed my previous impressions/experience with that same dealer. They mainly want to sell new wakeboard and pontoon boats. Little interest in servicing bass boats or older motors. Back when I had an HPDI they once quoted a several month lead time for a simple recall. Another dealer knocked it out in 1 day...
    Needless to say my friend will take any future business elsewhere.