96 175 faststrike bent prop shaft fix or replace??

Last summer I noticed I was getting water in my lower unit,...so I would change my L.U. oil every 2 outings and monitor continuously
    I was going to ride it out until winter and pressure test the lower and re-seal.

In August I hit a rock and wrecked my Renegade prop. After assesing the damage. I noticed the prop shaft bent and part of the skeg broke off.
    I still used the boat with just replacing the prop with my spare and noticed it would leak lower unit oil on my driveway out of the prop shaft area

I presently have the lower unit off and trying to determine if it is worth getting a new lower from SEI or fixing what I have.

I feel replacing the complete lower would be a simpler approach as I have already had bad experiences with having lower unit gears replaced and eventually putting a SEI unit on there which is the one I'm dealing with presently.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Go with the SEI. You will have to install a new water pump kit, move your anode, upper drive shaft and shift rod over to the new lower and follow their break in process

3. Member
    Thats what I was thinking,
    Does the deive shaft just pop out or is there a proper way to remove it?
    I remember just pushing it in until it clicked when I got the new unit 3 yrs ago

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    a slide hammer will work for removal there is a tool that clamps to the drive shaft that attaches at the key way groove that will pop it out also. when you install it just push down and it will attach to the fingers of the clip.