Yamaha SHO question

I have a 250 SHO. So far it has been flawless. I was told to run the conventional Yamaha oil and not the synthetic. Those that have blown powerheads, what oil were you using and how often had you been changing it? Just really interested if there is a better option to make this motor last.

Check your oil level often to make sure it doesn’t go up. Lots of SHOs had issues with “making oil” - gas would get by the rings and I to the oil causing the oil level to increase and lowering the viscosity of the oil. I suspect this was a root cause in many blown power heads. Typically this was caused by not breaking in the motor hard enough to seat the rings.

i had a 2015 sho on my last BassCat. The last time I changed oil I emptied almost 9 quarts and it’s only supposed to hold around 7. I was changing the oil 2-3 times a season. Had the boat at the dealer multiple times to figure it out. We finally narrowed it down to a bad thermostat but I didn’t have time to see if the new thermostat solved the problem before I totaled the boat.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I have a 2011 Ranger with 250 SHO. I have owned it for the last 3 years. The power head was replaced at ~200 hours for the crankshaft oil seal problem. It now has about 550 hours and runs perfect. I run the Yamaha synthetic oil and change each fall. It has never "made" any oil. The dipstick always reads the same.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

4. Member
    My motor only made oil before the first oil change. It's a 2015. My dealer said instead of changing it when it got high, suck some out so that it was the correct level, then run it hard. I did as instructed and never made oil after that. I have changed the oil and filter twice a year since I bought it. I feel its just good insurance.

Replacing my 250 SHO with a 250 Merc 4-stroke. Purchased the SHO new in 2011 w/extended warranty til 2017. Always had it serviced by a dealer every year. Always had the water pump changed every other year, whether it needed it or not. ECU went out in this past June at a cost of $1800., Then in late Oct, started getting water in oil. Dealer tested it last week and stated I have a cracked powerhead. Dealer quoted $12,800 to repair with 1 year warranty, or new at $23,000 and I would have to buy extended warranty. Called Yamaha and they wouldn't cover it since it was out of warranty. I have 240 hours on the motor. I know Yamaha has had issues with the 2009 and 2010 model years, but also, if you look on BBC, it appears they may also have an issue with 2011 & 2012 model years as well. Never had an issue before this year with the SHO. If I had a lot of hours on it; then I wouldn't get this bent out of shape over it. Received a fair price to re-power with a new 250 Merc 4 s from Duck River Marine and they picked it up on Thursday and stated they'll have it back to me on Tuesday. Gonna have to take a new pic of my rig with a MERC instead of the SHO for my avatar.

6. Member
    From the Yamaha site

Our best full synthetic Outboard oil FC-W® rated by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA®). Contains all the benefits of Yamalube 4M, with increased lubricity for lower friction levels resulting in potentially improved fuel economy. Recommended primarily for Yamaha V MAX SHO outboards.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawglip View Post
    My motor only made oil before the first oil change. It's a 2015. My dealer said instead of changing it when it got high, suck some out so that it was the correct level, then run it hard. I did as instructed and never made oil after that. I have changed the oil and filter twice a year since I bought it. I feel its just good insurance.
    If you change your oil twice a year most likely if it is "making oil" you won't notice. Mine has been "making oil" since I bought it two years ago. It usually takes about 4-6 months before I notice on the dip stick. For myself I don't think anyone should have to change the oil twice a year unless you're putting a lot of hours on it. I average almost 100 hours on mine a year.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    Id never take future advice from anyone that recommends conventional over synthetic... thats just wild
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    Id never take future advice from anyone that recommends conventional over synthetic... thats just wild
    All Yamaha dealers In my area recommend conventional oil the first 100 hours

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    Even if that were Yamaha making the recommendation?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawglip View Post
    I have a 250 SHO. So far it has been flawless. I was told to run the conventional Yamaha oil and not the synthetic. Those that have blown powerheads, what oil were you using and how often had you been changing it? Just really interested if there is a better option to make this motor last.
    The type of oil used in a Yamaha SHO (conventional or synthetic) has played no part in the failure of the motor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    The type of oil used in a Yamaha SHO (conventional or synthetic) has played no part in the failure of the motor.
    I wouldn’t think so either .

Not saying the full synthetic is good or bad but I’m on my 2nd boat with a SHO and neither have ever had a drop of synthetic engine oil in them. I sold my first boat to a friend and it’s running strong to this day. Maybe it’s just pure luck and maybe mine broke in and the rings seated early but neither of them “made much oil” during break in either. I broke both of them in the exact same way but I have had more than one dealer to tell me to stay away from synthetic oil in a SHO.

Jethro, im not second guessing you nor doubting you because I know how sharp you are on Yamaha’s so please don’t take it that way. I also don’t think that regular oil will cure an engine that’s “making oil”. I’m just stating what I have experienced with 2 of these engines.