What update to use for carbon and hdi?

I just purchased a couple used carbon units and they are on version 3. I'm not real familiar with update history, but I'm sure that is way behind so I need to get them updated. i use an hdi transducer on the troller and lss2 on the console. From what I've read, there are some updates that really mess up the hdi or have they fixed that? So, what update should I try to find and upload? 18.2, 18.3, current, or something else? I just don't want to have troubles after I update them and down imaging is important to me. Thanks in advance for your help!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

2. Member
    I'm on one of the 18.3 versions with one of my Carbon units running on the HDI, anything later and downscan is broken. I think some people have not had issues with the latest software but I have. Only way to find out is try it and see what happens. Hopefully the new 19.3 addresses this problem but who knows.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    I'm on one of the 18.3 versions with one of my Carbon units running on the HDI, anything later and downscan is broken. I think some people have not had issues with the latest software but I have. Only way to find out is try it and see what happens. Hopefully the new 19.3 addresses this problem but who knows.
    thanks. So to get 18.3, I just have to find someone who has it correct? I didn't see it on lowrance site.

Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    thanks. So to get 18.3, I just have to find someone who has it correct? I didn't see it on lowrance site.
    Here it is. I downloaded the 19.1 version to my Carbon 12 and lost my HDI Downscan. I found this link here on BBC and installed (reverted) it and everything is back to normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8u5val6ld...Standard-1.upd
    Last edited by rhlabs; 01-20-2020 at 12:23 AM.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhlabs View Post
    Here it is. I downloaded the 19.1 version to my Carbon 12 and lost my HDI Downscan. I found this link here on BBC and installed (reverted) it and everything is back to normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8u5val6ld...Standard-1.upd
    thank you! Did you try the early versions of 19? After reading a lot last night, there were a couple mentions that the first 2 builds were ok for hdi and fixed some other issues.
    Last edited by rat0502; 01-20-2020 at 06:41 AM.

6. Member
    I am on 19.1-62.1.114 and haven't had any issue with my HDI down scan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LainTx View Post
    I am on 19.1-62.1.114 and haven't had any issue with my HDI down scan
    Thank you, good to know. I am going to download the 114 version of 19 first and try it and use the 18.3 version posted above if it doesn't work. I will update results when it warms up a bit!
    Thank you all!

It was the 114 version that I tried. It didn’t work for me. I also bought the 9 pin version (channel 2) of the HDI transducer and it appeared to work with the 19.1 but I didn’t feel like running the cable etc. I just went ahead and went back to 18.3. I’ll keep the new transducer for when I break the current one...

Make sure to save your current settings and waypoints before downloading 19.1 and then do a hard reset afterward.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhlabs View Post
    It was the 114 version that I tried. It didn’t work for me. I also bought the 9 pin version (channel 2) of the HDI transducer and it appeared to work with the 19.1 but I didn’t feel like running the cable etc. I just went ahead and went back to 18.3. I’ll keep the new transducer for when I break the current one...

Make sure to save your current settings and waypoints before downloading 19.1 and then do a hard reset afterward.
    i saved waypoints, purged data, installed 19.1.114 and did hard reset. Had a little trouble loading it from the file menu but once I took everything off the card except the update, it ran fine when powered up. Fingers crossed and hope to find something out this weekend. I am taking a card with 18.3 with me just in case lol. These are new to me units so I didn't really have any settings to save so I will have to do all the configuring once I get them all hooked up. No garage, so I have to wait for the weather! I will update once I try it out.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    i saved waypoints, purged data, installed 19.1.114 and did hard reset. Had a little trouble loading it from the file menu but once I took everything off the card except the update, it ran fine when powered up. Fingers crossed and hope to find something out this weekend. I am taking a card with 18.3 with me just in case lol. These are new to me units so I didn't really have any settings to save so I will have to do all the configuring once I get them all hooked up. No garage, so I have to wait for the weather! I will update once I try it out.
    Thanks again!

11. Member
    Update: spent a couple hours on the water today. HDI seems to be working with the 114 version of 19.1. I do notice the contrast seems to be off quite a bit from I'm used to. bottom detail seems to be great in 455 and 800 and much improved over my previous gen 2 units, but fish don't seem to pop well at all in 800 like I was used to. In 455 they show well enough. I am sure if I tinker with settings I can get it dialed in. so far I am extremely pleased with the upgrade to carbons over gen 2. Amazing difference in detail and SCL is freaking awesome. Tight lines!

12. Member
    I found the default contrast too hot, I suggest turning it down a tad.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I found the default contrast too hot, I suggest turning it down a tad.
    On 455 I agree with you and moved it down a bit, but on 800 my images were almost pitch black. This is with the HDI transducer on the bow, I really didn't look at DS while idling with the console unit. Huge schools of bait didn't show on 800 but would on 2d and 455. I know 800 seems to need more contrast but I went to auto +5 and still could not see the bait. Previously +2 would be plenty on 800 and usually between -2 & -4 on 455. I still think I just need to get it dialed in, just noticed a lot bigger difference between the 2 than I did before the update. Overall though, between the higher resolution and the update, the hard structure and cover is much defined than my Gen 2 units before. I am impressed.