Stripped screw holes in fiberglass

The two lower holes on the panel that hold my TM plug are stripped. What's the best fix? Thanks, -Vic

InkedIMG_3570_LI.jpg

You could easily go in with a little Marine Tex and use the same size screw....you’d never see it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    You could simply use a larger gauge stainless screw, but I like Crank's suggestion better
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    If you can reach behind it you could put a bolt in.

Could also put some tape behind the screw hole, fill the hole with epoxy, then put some tape in the front of the hole to hold the epoxy in while it sets up. Then re drill the hole. If you use a small piece of clear document protector plastic or the old overhead transparency plastic to hold the epoxy in the hole with tape holding the plastic sheet in place, when you pull it off it won't stick and will leave a nice smooth finish. Trick is use just enough epoxy.

5. Member
    You could also just put a little epoxy on the threads when you put it in the hole and let it harden. I put wood glue on door hinge screws that keep backing out.

6. Member
    Easiest is a couple of the plastic drywall screw mounts. Drill the holes out to the right size, press in the plastic part, then install screws and you are done. Actually a good fix in several places. Such as if you pull out one or more of the screws holding the T.M. pedal in the well.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Member
    Easy...use a zip tie. Put a piece through the hole. Screw in the screw. Cut flush. Simple fix that is cheap and holds.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Easiest is a couple of the plastic drywall screw mounts. Drill the holes out to the right size, press in the plastic part, then install screws and you are done. Actually a good fix in several places. Such as if you pull out one or more of the screws holding the T.M. pedal in the well.
    I cant believe i didn't think of that! I have messed around with marine tex but that is so much better

I had that happen. Broke a toothpick in half and put that in the hole then put the screw in with a little loctite on it.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Member
    Harbor freight threaded insert kit around $25
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Marine Tex, JB Weld or a zip tie depending of I can get at the back of the panel.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I've used most of the tricks mentioned. For me the best way to remedy this was to use a slightly larger stainless screw. I put a tiny bit of 3m 5200 on the screw and they haven't come loose again.

Fill the hole with 3M 5200. Let it cure. Drill a small pilot. Reuse the same screws. Done that on a few screws with no issues. Fill the hole, but the screw can be removed later.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 keepers View Post
    Easy...use a zip tie. Put a piece through the hole. Screw in the screw. Cut flush. Simple fix that is cheap and holds.
    Did this just the other day replacing a windshield.