Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

$300-$400 rods, which to avoid?

Looking to upgrade several rods for bottom baits (worms, jigs, dropshot). No area tackle shops handle high end rods so no way I can shake and compare. Looking at ALX, Kistler, Dobyns, St Croix, and G Loomis. Any of these to avoid?

2. Member
    Doybans out of that bunch to me. Just went to the Richmond show and the new top end alx was very impressive but for 320$ and a five year manufacture defects is the only thing would hold me back. The kistler h3 is a nice rod at the sale price 22% off right now but went up 50$ this year. If you want the most sensitive you cant beat the nrx you can find one in the buy sell forums for that price range

3. Member
    Pass on kistler poor craftsmanship and refinement for a so-called $300 rod

Oh and now H3's are $350 so 50 more reasons to avoid them.
    Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE; 01-18-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: to please bronzebacks

4. Member
    Phenix on ur radar? Loomis is good. Just my opinion tho

Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Pass on kistler poor craftsmanship and refinement for a so-called $300 rod
    Funny, I bought a couple of Kistler Heliums and thought the craftsmanship and finish was better than my G Loomis NRX

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Funny, I bought a couple of Kistler Heliums and thought the craftsmanship and finish was better than my G Loomis NRX
    He bashes em every thread he sees them mentioned in

Personally I'd narrow it down to gloomis, alx, and st croix from your choices.

And for me, I'd probably go with alx or st croix, since I like their rods.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post

Weird my NRX built much better than my H3. H3 having crooked guides and poor fit between handle and grip not to mention low quality cork.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacks View Post
    He bashes em every thread he sees them mentioned in
    OP asked and had kistler in the mix so gave my thought based on my product I received

10. Member

Weird my NRX built much better than my H3. H3 having crooked guides and poor fit between handle and grip not to mention low quality cork.
    Since you dislike it so much I will give you $50 to take it off your hands (give you 50 reasons to be happy) and give you piece of mind. PM me your PayPal.

OP, all the brands that you mentioned are top quality and you will more than likely be happy with any of them. I would put ALX and Kistler at the top with Dobyns a very close third.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

11. Member
    Hello. My personal exp is that St Croix guides are a little small on their spinning models. I run longer leaders and it affects casting distance and will fray the knot eventually. I have Kistlers that i purchased years ago and like the models that I have. But he keeps increasing prices and then sends out discount emails to try to compensate some what for the purchase. Alx is really good to deal with and I purchased the McSmalls model from him and very impressed with the model and will be purchasing more models from him. Guides are a Med size don't have any issues with leader knots and a Very good build quality and pretty sensitive! Dobyns is Decent for the money and Customer service is very good. If you are a Vet you get a 30% discount when you register with him. The thing that's nice with Dobyns is that they have alot of various lengths and powers to choose for the technique your doing. The New Imx pros are Nice as well. Guide train is on the medium size on their spinning models and pretty nice build quality.
    Honestly every company has a few models that have the " It "factor so its kinda your choice what you prefer. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision sir !! Hammy

12. Member
    I haven't bought recently but when I did it was St.Croix the warranty use to be great but like I said haven't purchased one in 6 months are so.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

OP asked and had kistler in the mix so gave my thought based on my product I received
    I respect your opinion but I also gave mine. This is why there a so many rod companies out there. So we can all make choices.

Sir if you have a Kistler rod with crooked guides then that is your fault, if there is a problem or even if you just don't like it Trey Kistler will send you a different rod and put a return label in the tube to send the rod you have in (if you buy new) he will exchange rods purchased in the first 30 days , I know this for a fact as he has done this for me on a ZBone just with in the last couple of months , and as far as the cork I have a pile of Kistlers and not one of them has low quality cork,, nothing but top notch
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 01-19-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
    Looking to upgrade several rods for bottom baits (worms, jigs, dropshot). No area tackle shops handle high end rods so no way I can shake and compare. Looking at ALX, Kistler, Dobyns, St Croix, and G Loomis. Any of these to avoid?
    None of these to avoid, all build a quality product , it just comes down to what you like ,, I have and have had Loomis , Kistler , Dobyns and i like them all but my personal favorite is Kistler for bottom contact, you can call and most of the time Trey will answer the phone and help you get exactly what you want,, if not he will take it back and and send you something else,, I ordered a Zbone a couple of month ago and it would up being not what i wanted , so i called and talked to him about it(should have done that before i ordered over the internet) and he said he wanted to make sure i got what i wanted , two days later i had a new rod on my front porch and a return label to send the old one back , and their blanks are built by North Fork Composites that is owned by none other than Gary Loomis, sensitivity is crazy good.

ALX i think is the same deal, they are a supporter here and have a fantastic reputation for a quality product, while i don't own any i would not hesitate to purchase one, everyone that has them rave about their product and customer service
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 01-19-2020 at 07:33 AM.

16. Member
    I have 2 brands of rods. G loomis and I have 25 of them and then is the MudHole hand made rods. I have made a couple I pick up before my loomis rods. It can be all in your mind . Building your own rod and catching fish on it somthing special

Tackle Trap in Boaz is now selling ALX so you should at least be able to put one of those in your hands to shake a bit. The ENOX series has a 10 yr warranty.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

18. Member
    I have used and owned 3 of the brands you mentioned and my favorite is the Loomis NRX but they are too pricey for me unless you can find a used one that you want on the for sale boards of this site. Right now I'm trying to convert mostly to ALX. They are excellent rods and you can find deals on them from sponsors on this site and also directly from ALX from time to time.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

19. Member
    I would avoid all of them and get a guy like willwork4fish to build you a custom one in the $200 dollar range. I have always believed that there is an absurd markup on rods.

I do own several high end rods, but in my opinion they are overrated. Example: I caught my personal best 11 lbs 9 oz LM on a $20 Acadamy crankbait rod. Just sayin...my previous PB was caught on a G loomis spinnerbait rod if it means anything

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast