Why do some boats have a transom that's set "in" and other that stick out?

Some boats like Skeeter and Falcon have transoms that are like a "U". The sides stick behind the transom. Others like Ranger have the transom sticking out. Just wondering what the purposes of both designs are.

Some use the "Stick out" as a built in setback for the boat, others dont and will use jackplates to obtain the correct setback.

The "set in" design is because of the boat manufacturer using "sponsons" to help with stability at rest and flotation due to more surface area in the water. You will notice that most of the high performance boats will have them and they also come at a upward angle so there is no contact with water at speed.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

3. Member
    I think the hulls with set back also handle sharper turns better without prop blowout. The squared off corners force water away from the prop in a hard turn. There is a video that someone with Champion put out that I watched once that explains it better than I can.

4. Member
    one way to sell you a 21ft. boat with no more room than a 19ft.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    one way to sell you a 21ft. boat with no more room than a 19ft.
    Haha this and before Jackplates the set back style was an advantage not so much anymore in my opinion
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

swamprat, that all depends on the view point. Ours is the sponson models cost more to build.

Those centerline length transom offsets are reducing the cost of materials while lengthening the boat on the center line measurement. Bluntly your not getting the beam on those corners if your paying comparably on product costs. They basically can cut the corners off and make a straight line on a 30 to 45 degree angle. We are not speaking of the strength differences, just the materials reduction.

The sponson rear offsets require more molding, labor and material than a flat transom, by wrapping the radius and length into the transom, and offers increased rear buoyancy. This also give us a full width transom all the way across the boat hull, side to side, instead of just a center portion of the transom. This is not saying all sponson boats are full width transoms and we don’t know all construction techniques, just speaking of ours.

Centerline measurements on offset transoms is proposed by many in sales staff to cost more, because they’ve been trained that way. In reality those built in offsets cost significantly less material in production. We aren’t the ones saving money on the build style.

Way back in 1988 MY we began placing jackplates as standard equipment on Sabre and Pantera II models. That basically equated to a flat transom on the offset, with the jackplate extending off the transom and bringing the engine to the location a flat transom would have placed it. A straight edge across most of our models rub rail will show the back mounting face of the jack plate is on a similar plane to the end of the rub rail, or boat length.

BCB

7. Member
    BCB I see your point and understand (most) of it.Cost aside I see many 20ft. boats with less room than my old flat transome 18Ft. boat.By the way,If I was a mind to buy a new Bass Boat it would probally be a BassCat.I love my buds CAT

8. Member
    What if the boat with an inside offset identifies as a boat with an outside offset?

9. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    What if the boat with an inside offset identifies as a boat with an outside offset?
    Time for offset reassignment surgery.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Time for offset reassignment surgery.
    Surgery should not be the first option. Understanding and acceptance go a long way

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I think the hulls with set back also handle sharper turns better without prop blowout. The squared off corners force water away from the prop in a hard turn. There is a video that someone with Champion put out that I watched once that explains it better than I can.
    Yup every time I turn mine to hard to fast it blows. Oh well learned to turn slower and more gradual.
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

Trying to think of a Fiberglass bass boat hull with no offset built in? I would suggest it does not exists.

The sponsons that cayuse the "U shape" are for stability at rest and offer no value at speed. They also aid in preventing backwash.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Bots with the extra offset hanging off the back are the weakest design. All the pressure is in a much smaller area and in extension, which can sheer starting at the top. The ones with the sponsons behind the transom are the strongest, and help transfer load to the whole boat, much of it in compression, which is the strongest mode. Quality and materials are still a variable, but for safety reasons, I would never own a boat with the extended transom. I've seen enough photos of wrecked ones for my life.