Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CB Marine hydrofoil and porpoise management

I have a 2018 FX21LE which has the 250 Sho obviously. I lowered the jackplate from 8 dots to 4 dots and the porpoising went from a 10 to a 4 in my scale. I could cruise at 40mph with no porpoising. Previously, it porpoised at all speeds. Not satisfied, I ordered a CB Marine foil. Wow, it looks very professional and the finish is just stunning. The install took me about an hour and a half. I just did it today. I will go fishing on Monday and will report how much better the porpoising control is. Until then, here are some pics on the install. Working with Chris was a pleasure. He’s a class act.

Last edited by eds; 01-18-2020 at 08:38 PM.

2. Member
    I had one on my 2006 Mercury 250xs & it made a huge difference. It jumped up on plane so fast it was incredible.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Im a dealer for Chris and sale lots of his foils, they are a great product. I also run one on my SHO, Try running lithium's and a CB foil, its amazing
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    That's a commitment right there....6 bolts through the lower unit! Looks good thought. Keep us posted.

5. Member
    Can you tell me where you purchased it, and also the cost?

thanks

6. Member
    Updates...

I fished 9 hours on Monday. Slow bite in Texas for LMB. Still, nothing beats a day on the water...

The porpoising is still there on my boat after the foil install. I’m really disappointed. Previously, I described porpoising going from a 10 to a 4 on my seat-of-the-pants scale. Going from 8 dots to 4 dots on the jack plate brought the porpoising from all speeds to speeds at 40mph+. It was a big improvement. Now, it went from a 4 scale to a 3 scale by adding the foil. The speed that stops porpoising went from 40mph to 37mph. It takes off smoother. It is a little better, but the porpoising is definitely there. I’m disappointed with this boat. I spent $80K for a boat that simply porpoises when not going crazy fast. I’m not wanting to go fast. I like to cruise and talk. I’m now thinking that I wish I would have bought a Ranger. I hate this stupid porpoising. It looks silly. It feels silly. It’s just not professional. I’m going to lower the dots from 4 to 2 and see if I get the improvement I need. I want to cruise at 30mph, trimmed half way, without porpoising.

i don’t blame the foil, I blame the boat and the weight dynamics. I was hoping the foil would stop the porpoising, but it does not. However, I’m keeping it, because I do see improvements and the launch is much smoother.

sorry folks, but I’m just upset that this boat porpoises so much. It’s just stupid to have this going on.

7. Member
    cost ?

8. Member
    take off the foil. try a mercury bravo 1 xs 26 ,it worked on my fx 21 , and it fast

Maybe swing by your local dealer and talk with them about what its doing. They may have some good advice for you.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdr1 View Post
    cost ?
    $236

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodeejones View Post
    take off the foil. try a mercury bravo 1 xs 26 ,it worked on my fx 21 , and it fast
    what year fx21?

it’s about a $700 solution. I’m ok with the price, but can someone else verify it will stop the porpoising?

Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    Updates...

I want to cruise at 30mph, trimmed half way, without porpoising.
    Then you should have bought a Ranger. No amount of foil or jackplate height adjustment will allow you to drive 30mph without porpoising at 1/2 trim. If you want to go that slow, then you have to tuck the motor up under the boat.

If you want the porpoising to stop, then either learn to drive what you have, or get something else. Skeeters porpoise at low speeds. That's what they do.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Then you should have bought a Ranger. No amount of foil or jackplate height adjustment will allow you to drive 30mph without porpoising at 1/2 trim. If you want to go that slow, then you have to tuck the motor up under the boat.

If you want the porpoising to stop, then either learn to drive what you have, or get something else. Skeeters porpoise at low speeds. That's what they do.
    A clear leader in posting. Keep hiding behind the keyboard.

14. Member
    He’s right you’re over trimming.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    He’s right you’re over trimming.
    the dealer told me to trim until the motor is level so that the oil is distributed evenly. Is that not true sir?

16. Member
    the dealer told me to trim until the motor is level so that the oil is distributed evenly. Is that not true sir?
    huh?

Trim isnt to distribute oil, it’s to control bow lift.

17. Member
    That sounds stupid or he was talking about maybe when you a fishing or parking the boat. Keep the trim down and it will really stop the bouncing.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    That sounds stupid or he was talking about maybe when you a fishing or parking the boat. Keep the trim down and it will really stop the bouncing.
    I got it now. The dealer told me to trim level (up) IF idling for a long time to keep the oil level (like a car). However, as you said, the trim is too high when at speed. So, I was wrong to trim it so high when on plane and that caused the porpoising. This explains everything. Now, I’ll trim it on plane to the value which causes the bow to go over, and before the porpoising starts. Find the happy spot of the engine for RPMs. Now, the foil makes sense. It does make it smoother to get on plane (as I mentioned earlier). After on plane, trim till it’s happy, but before porpoising. I’m so happy. Thank you for the recommend change. I’ve owned boats for 25 years straight, but not bass boats. Now, I know how to trim my bass boat. I was wrong to blame Skeeter. It was the operator, not the boat.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bodeejones View Post
    part number?

my OEM prop is
    STAINLESS STEEL 25 PITCH X 15 1/8 DIAMETER VMAX SHO STANDARD ROTATION PROPELLER 6CB 45972 11 00

20. Member
    I got it now. The dealer told me to trim level (up) IF idling for a long time to keep the oil level (like a car). However, as you said, the trim is too high when at speed. So, I was wrong to trim it so high when on plane and that caused the porpoising. This explains everything. Now, I’ll trim it on plane to the value which causes the bow to go over, and before the porpoising starts. Find the happy spot of the engine for RPMs. Now, the foil makes sense. It does make it smoother to get on plane (as I mentioned earlier). After on plane, trim till it’s happy, but before porpoising. I’m so happy. Thank you for the recommend change. I’ve owned boats for 25 years straight, but not bass boats. Now, I know how to trim my bass boat. I was wrong to blame Skeeter. It was the operator, not the boat.
    I got ya, yea its probably a good idea to keep it level on long idles. We all come here to learn stuff. Trim all the way down to take off and just barely bump it up once your up and running and you should be good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast