Fender Stratocaster

How many play a Strat? Have been looking at Mexi-strats for a while now. Found a flat red one recently I may pull the trigger on. I have a Dean Soltero
    that I have been attempting to play for a bunch of years now.. Just have had a yearning to try something different and wondering what everyone thinks of them...

2. Member
    If you are getting it used they only fetch 3-400 . If you can save a little more you can find a USA strat for 800-1000 much better guitar

3. Member
    With strats made outside the U.S.you will usually find much cheaper electronics that will fail. Been playing a custom shop strat for many years
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

4. Member
    I've got a pristine 1983 American made 2 knob Strat in gloss black that sounds and plays amazing. Selling it for $950. Non original case, but everything else is. It's a beauty. Sold off most of my collection in the last few years as my hands have gotten worse. Still got a couple left. The black 83 is scchmmmoooovve!

save your cash and buy a USA strat. Much much better pickups etc.

6. Member
    USA strats are probably consistently better guitars, but it really comes down to that particular piece of wood. Electronics can always be upgraded, but sometimes a "cheap" guitar just happens to be "your one". IF you pick up a mexi-strat and it makes you not want to put it down, by all means buy it, you found your One. (or at least your One For Now)

As for me, speaking as a full time recording and live sound engineer, not a player, I'm way more in love with Telecasters than Strats. In all honesty, to nail the tones on most music, you are gonna need more than one fiddle. You will need something with humbuckers for the chug and power (think rhythm parts), and something with single coils for the chime and bite.(think lead parts) No one guitar really does it all. I think a good Tele has more character than a Strat, unless you are specifically chasing that Stevie Ray/Hendrix blues hero thing. The non tremolo bridge on a Tele just gives it more of everything. Chime and fullness with chords, Bite and sustain with leads, you get more of both with a Tele. You guys would be surprised how many tracks have been cut on records we all love with Telecasters. They for sure ain't just for country... Ask Jimmy Page.

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    WELL SAID Mixer Mark. I am a Tele man.. ( country & southern rock ). I have a 19 American tele and it is HOT!!!
    I has a few strats but not to my liking. I had a Gibson Les Paul and loved the smoooooth sound of it with the humbuckers.
    BUT that paul was so heavy and sold it. I got me a Tele with humbuckers but not the same as a Paul.
    Check around and play both.... you ears will tell you which one is for your style.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

8. Member
    I own a 2014 USA Strat and a 1999 MX Strat. I like the US better, but as others have said, anything can be up-graded. I started with a Tele, that I passed on to my son. I have different gauge strings on each one as well. Its a learning process. When I took up playing I jumped in with both feet. To be honest, now that I am older, I play my Taylor acoustic the most.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    WELL SAID Mixer Mark. I am a Tele man.. ( country & southern rock ). I have a 19 American tele and it is HOT!!!
    I has a few strats but not to my liking. I had a Gibson Les Paul and loved the smoooooth sound of it with the humbuckers.
    BUT that paul was so heavy and sold it. I got me a Tele with humbuckers but not the same as a Paul.
    Check around and play both.... you ears will tell you which one is for your style.
    if a Les Paul is too heavy, and most of the good ones are, try an SG for the Gibson next time...

I have a MIM strat I bought new in January. Love it. No complaints.
    Ranger Forever

11. Member
    I have a 1993 MIM Strat. You do know they are not Made in Mexico, they are assembled in Mexico with part produced in Fullerton California!