HDS 9 Gen3 question about updates

I have just acquired a new to me Gen3 9. It has the 18.2 version update and my old one is version 7. What are your thoughts about updates. I remember that the 18.2 had problems and the 7 didn’t. Should I make both 18.2 or 7.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

2. Member
    There’s another thread discussing this. Some said the 18.2 make the 2d freeze and some said they aren’t haven’t any problems. I just brought a gen 3 as well with the new update but haven’t gotten a chance to use it to know if mine will have the same problems as others.

3. Member
    I tried a search but couldn’t find a answer to my question. Do guys run two different units with different updates on them. Have only been out once with the new unit with 18.2 update. Only thing I could see different was the way the screen looked was not the same on each unit. I was using pallet 11 and the unit with 18.2 had additional colours other then blue and the fish reveal red colour.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

4. Member
    I have not had any trouble with my HDS 7 Gen 3 using 18.2, but I only have a single device, not networked or anything.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

5. Member
    The HDS_Gen3-18.2-60.1.142 software update had no issues at all with my two Gen 3 units.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    The HDS_Gen3-18.2-60.1.142 software update had no issues at all with my two Gen 3 units.

NoCAL
    Me to, works well in network with Carbon and Live as well as all my NMEA2000-stuff.

@Soan: Some batches of Gen 3 will have issues with 18.3, and of course there is always some user-error going on with new updates as well. Since Lowrance refuses to tell us which batch-number have the issues (they probably don`t have that information) the only way to find out is to try. You can always downgrade the software again later, as long as you have an older softwareupdate to run. Keep in mind that all units AND modules in the ethernet must have (at least) 18.3 for the new software to work properly.

And as usual, save waypoints and do a hard reset after up- or downgrading software.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Me to, works well in network with Carbon and Live as well as all my NMEA2000-stuff.

@Soan: Some batches of Gen 3 will have issues with 18.3, and of course there is always some user-error going on with new updates as well. Since Lowrance refuses to tell us which batch-number have the issues (they probably don`t have that information) the only way to find out is to try. You can always downgrade the software again later, as long as you have an older softwareupdate to run. Keep in mind that all units AND modules in the ethernet must have (at least) 18.3 for the new software to work properly.

And as usual, save waypoints and do a hard reset after up- or downgrading software.
    Thanks this has answered my question both units should run on the same software.
    Another question I have is do you think I will have any problems on my other boat by mixing both gen3 and gen2 non-touch units together if units all have the latest updates for their generation.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

8. Member
    Yes, mixing units older than Gen 3 can cause issues and at a minimum will force the Gen 3 units into Legacy Mode.

NoCAL
    2B112175

9. Member
    Yes, mixing units older than Gen 3 can cause issues and at a minimum will force the Gen 3 units into Legacy Mode.

NoCAL
    Thanks but I don’t know Legacy Mode means. All I was going to use my gen2 non-touch for was charting.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

10. Member
    Try doing a search on Lowrance Legacy Mode. It might not matter to you but you should at least know what the implications are. I found this by doing a Google Search:

If there are any HDS Carbons or StructureScan 3D modules, that are not running version 1.5 software, dual sonar support will be disabled and the network will revert to “legacy sonar mode”. Legacy Sonar mode is where only one sonar source can be active at one time when Network Sonar is enabled.
    –If there are any HDS Gen3’s or SonarHubs, that are not running version 4.5 software (HDS Gen3) or version 5.0 software (SonarHub), the network will revert to “legacy sonar mode”.
    –Any HDS Gen1, HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch, Mercury VesselView4/7, LSS-1 or LSS-HD connected to the Ethernet network, will cause the sonar to revert, to run in legacy mode and the HDS Carbon will not be able to simultaneously display Dual transducers.
    –Please refer to the following page for instructions how to exit legacy mode.

NoCAL
    2B112175

11. Member
    Try doing a search on Lowrance Legacy Mode. It might not matter to you but you should at least know what the implications are. I found this by doing a Google Search:

If there are any HDS Carbons or StructureScan 3D modules, that are not running version 1.5 software, dual sonar support will be disabled and the network will revert to “legacy sonar mode”. Legacy Sonar mode is where only one sonar source can be active at one time when Network Sonar is enabled.
    –If there are any HDS Gen3’s or SonarHubs, that are not running version 4.5 software (HDS Gen3) or version 5.0 software (SonarHub), the network will revert to “legacy sonar mode”.
    –Any HDS Gen1, HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch, Mercury VesselView4/7, LSS-1 or LSS-HD connected to the Ethernet network, will cause the sonar to revert, to run in legacy mode and the HDS Carbon will not be able to simultaneously display Dual transducers.
    –Please refer to the following page for instructions how to exit legacy mode.

NoCAL
    Thanks NoCal. Man my old brain is just spinning. Both units now running 18.2 software and I think I’ve exited legacy mode.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC