Rod wrapping question

I have built 4 rods, do you guys use a bobbin to wrap the last few tip guides on ? They can be a real pain.

I don't. I still use the thread carriage on my wrapper.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

3. Member
    Same ^^^^^^^

Using a bobbin is a mistake. Use a small strip of masking tape to tape the guide to the rod as tightly as possible and still allow for you to wrap about 1/2 of the foot down before you remove the tape. It gets easier with practice. Are you using a rod stand or doing it by hand?

5. Member
    I have the Mud Hole turn key outfit.

I use a bobbin to wrap my tip tops. Started doing it with super light and flimsy ice rod tips as I just couldn't wrap them normally, and have found it works easier on long rods too. It'd be a mistake for anything other than a tip top though, in my opinion, and I know lots of guys don't even wrap their tip tops.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    In the Get Bit tutorials, the owner holds the spool of thread in his hand while the power wrapper turns the rod. I saw a YouTube vid the other day where the guy did the same thing, but had the thread in a bobbin. I think the bobbin would make it easier to keep the thread from running over itself. Also like the idea of using it for tip tops.

Quote Originally Posted by VanderLaan View Post
    In the Get Bit tutorials, the owner holds the spool of thread in his hand while the power wrapper turns the rod. I saw a YouTube vid the other day where the guy did the same thing, but had the thread in a bobbin. I think the bobbin would make it easier to keep the thread from running over itself. Also like the idea of using it for tip tops.
    Holding the htread in your hand takes a LOT of practice in order to keep the thread at the proper tension. I'd rather turn the rod by hand.