Talon Alarm Wire Gauge - Is it 12 AWG or 10 AWG?

I'll be wiring my Talon alarm wires over the next week or two. I'll wire to hot post of Fuel Gauge. I'll also use the SEAFLO disconnect switch with the factory Talon fuse between disconnect and battery positive (within 7" of battery positive). I have a couple of questions I'd like to pose.

1. What gauge wire is used on the Talon alarm wire...is it 12 AWG or 10 AWG?
    2. What size wire connector and nylock nut for fuel gauge post?
    3. What should I do with the remaining in-line factory fuse?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kailor; 01-18-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

2. Member
    According to the Minn Kota install instructions online, some models the alarm wire should be minimum 18 AWG and others 12 AWG. I am getting ready to install the Bluetooth versions and they call for minimum 12AWG.

https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...545.1578683909

3. Member
    Thanks, Slig!
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

4. Member
    Not sure the answer to your other two questions but I didn't know there was a fuse on the alarm wire, I thought there was just one on the positive(white) coming from the Talon.

You got me thinking though, when installing two Talon's is it ok to double the alarm wires together in the back and just run one 12 AWG wire to the fuel gauge at the console?

No fuse on the alarm wire...Yes you can tie the two alarm wires together and run 1 wire to the dash to get power.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    No fuse on the alarm wire...Yes you can tie the two alarm wires together and run 1 wire to the dash to get power.
    Thanks JR!

7. Member
    I have a 2011 Triton with a ignition switch that stays on with a start/stop button on the dash for the motor.
    Where do i connect the green alarm wire?

Thanks
    Ty

Quote Originally Posted by Triton2011 View Post
    I have a 2011 Triton with a ignition switch that stays on with a start/stop button on the dash for the motor.
    Where do i connect the green alarm wire?

Thanks
    Ty
    Although this does not specifically answer your question...hook the alarm wire to a power source that is only hot when the motor is in the run position. I picked up my hot power for my alarm from the back of my fuel gauge. It's only hot when the motor is running. If you have a multi meter use the leads to look for something that has 12V only when the motor is running. This should be something in the ignition system or one of several gauges.

9. Member
    When I had talons I never used the alarm wire. I just made it a habit to look to see if any blue lights were on when I went to get in the drivers seat.

10. Member
    Thank you......I will check the water pressure gauge.
    All the others work when the switch is on.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton2011 View Post
    Thank you......I will check the water pressure gauge.
    All the others work when the switch is on.
    No power to water gauges except for the dash light.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Although this does not specifically answer your question...hook the alarm wire to a power source that is only hot when the motor is in the run position. I picked up my hot power for my alarm from the back of my fuel gauge. It's only hot when the motor is running. If you have a multi meter use the leads to look for something that has 12V only when the motor is running. This should be something in the ignition system or one of several gauges.
    This is what I did as well, mine was even the same color Gene suggested it might be, purple.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slig View Post
    This is what I did as well, mine was even the same color Gene suggested it might be, purple.
    A purple wire or a wire with a purple stripe is "typically" something related to the ignition/key-switch. In reality if you want to power the alarm wire for a Talon use any wire that has 12V only when the key is in the on or run position. There is several wires that work. If a person is proficient with a multi meter they can easily find a wire that is only hot when the key is on.