Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to decide on my next boat!!

I’m currently in a OG 99 bass cat jaguar. It’s been a great boat & still is. I’m looking to upgrade this year at some point. I’m having a hard time deciding what boat I want. I’m torn between the cougar & the Eyra and also the Lynx and Caracal wide body boats. I know I would prob be happy any of them but I’m looking for a boat I can keep for at least 10yrs or so. I’ve had the Jag for 10yrs and it’s time to upgrade. My current boat fishes like a cougar or puma I would think but idk for sure. I like the look of the wide body boats but is it overkill? I fish a lot with my son & team tournaments. Help me come to a decision !!!i didn’t realize how tough this is.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

Kevin, I started in an '02 Jag, then a PIV, Puma FTD, and now an '18 Lynx. They all have the things they do best, it really just depends on what's the most important traits for you. Climb around in them and go for some rides, the right boat for you will show itself. Everybody will tell you that theirs is the best, and it is; for them! I like the Lynx for the big deck, big console area, giant storage, good speed. The back deck is huge as well, no one has passed me when it gets rough, and only other Cats pass me when it's smooth, but the Pumas don't keep up when the water gets big. If I fished a lot of canals and backwaters, I'd get an Eyra, if I wanted a boat that does everything capably, I'd get the Cougar/Puma FTD.
    Last edited by mike464; 01-18-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Would you say your 02 Jag fished like your Puma? Or not . What was the ride like comparing the 2 boats. Thanks for the response . I did climbed around in a Lynx & Caracal last week.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

I thought my 13 Puma FTD rode better than my Jag, the Jag had a 225, so the ftd was definitely faster. The old style consoles on the Jag spoil you when it's cold out! I loved the Jaguar, it sold me on BassCat, but I think they've had improvements with every model. You won't be disappointed in the new ones. I put BCB buckets in my Jag the last year I had it and that was a great improvement.

New Jag to replace the old JAg. You would be very happy

6. Member
    My last boat was a 2000 Jag. Just picked up my new 20 Cougar. I probably won’t get her on the water for a couple of months so I can’t give you a companion on the ride yet. What I can tell you is OMG! Storage and deck space! It’s the exact same length as the old jag but it feels 2 feet longer. And the storage is incredible! With that said, Mike is right. You have to go see them up close and personal. You could pick a name out of a hat and not go wrong with any of the 4 you listed.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

7. Member
    This is a great problem to have! Deciding between those 4 excellent models. Good luck with your search

Keep me updated . Congrats on the new ride.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

I also was undecided, took a factory tour and decided on a Lynx. It's being built right now.

10. Member
    If I have my facts straight the only difference between the Cougar & Puma is the deck layout. I would find a local BC dealer or go to the upcoming boat shows and see what models you like. Or if you have any local bass clubs some of those people with a cat would probably give you a ride.

Kevin, I would reach out to skyline up in wilkesboro. They have alot of boats up there normally. Anything you would be intrested in riding in I can probably set you up with. I have a face book page "Carolina bass cats" and the group meets up here and there on local lakes for mini derbys. There are alot of guys up towards high rock and raleigh area. Im in Charlotte area, If you want to ride in a 17 puma let me know. As for the boats your looking at I have had a caracal and its a great boat, I wanted an eyra and still kind of do, and ended up in a puma because I found one locally. All of them fish and ride very differently.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

12. Member
    I'd fish out of them all first a couple times if possible! I absolutely love everything about Basscat exept one thing there front decks! I have a eyra and might sell it and switch brands because of the decks just having a hard time because everything else about this boat rocks!

13. Member
    I'm extremely partial to the Eyra 1st and my next choice would be either the Cougar/Puma SP. Super hard to beat the affordability & fishability of either of those packages !!!! I personally like the Puma, my son likes the Cougar due to the larger front deck/step back around the cooler area. And if you haven't ridden in anything with the new Merc v8 4-strokes you're really going to be impressed !!!! Awesome combination on any of the boats you've listed !!! Good luck with your decision...if you happen to be in Alabama anytime soon....you're welcome to come ride in our 2020 Eyra
    We'll also be at Okeechobee next week, Seminole the following week, Harris Chain Lakes late Feb, Guntersville in March. (just in case you're traveling any)
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Thanks for the offer. I’ll be here in NC fishing sub 50 degree weather. I like the layout of the cougar over the puma right now. I’m leaning toward the Lynx or caracal at the moment but that’s not to say if a cougar or Eyra came along that had the perfect color combo and options I Would def consider. My next boat will def have a 4stroke. I prefer the Merc but a yammie is not out of the question.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

I’ll start getting serious toward the end of Feb. I will def be looking at Skyline in the coming weeks. I don’t do FB anymore so keep me updated with any derby’s or such in the future. Thanks
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

16. Member
    Let me know when you put the Jag up for sale! Would love to see some pictures.

Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

18. Member
    Great looking boat!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastCat04 View Post
    We'll also be at Okeechobee next week, Seminole the following week, Harris Chain Lakes late Feb, Guntersville in March. (just in case you're traveling any)
    What trail are you fishing?
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Just my personal opinion.
    out of the 4 that you choose I would go with the Eyra or Lynx. the Eyra is my #1 boat just due to its speed but the Lynx would be awesome for the room you get.
    only Eyra I have ever been in was the one that has the 300R on it and Rick was driving

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast