Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Tough decision to make on dog

7 year old sheltie and we were told yesterday she has cancer on the leg which she can’t even put weight on. We have two choices which is remove the front leg (no guarantee cancer will be gone) or maintain somewhat of a quality of life for her. Wife is leaning towards the surgery and I am leaning towards making a tough call to end her pain when it gets worse. This dog loves to run and I could not bare to see her not doing what she loves and I do not want to keep her around for our sake. Any of you ever have a 3 legged dog and were they able to adjust to that? Thanks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    I had two three legged dogs at the same time one was missing his front right leg the other was missing his right rear leg. They were the therapy dogs for our local Shriner's Children's Hospital. They had their "15 minutes of fame" they were on television, in some newspapers and magazines. One of them was inducted into the KY Veterinary Medicine Hall of Fame. Dogs are able to adapt better than humans and are up walking the day or two after surgery. I work for a Veterinarian and have delt with amputations over the years they have all bounced back. If I were you I would give the dog a chance.

I can feel a lot of your pain right now. Can't answer how your pup will do with 3 legs but I have seen several dogs in that condition. They all seem to have adapted to the situation. Animals are strong willed creatures. One of the ones I seen was just recently at the vet we just went to, to have a cancer eval. for our almost 14 yr old CORGI mix. The pup there seemed to be doing well. We have chosen to go forward, very tough call based on our dogs age and cost. It is a hard choice. There is really not a right or wrong decision.

Depends on the dog. The last dog I had would've adapted fine. She was mellow and calm. The dog I have now probably wouldn't. She's sweet but would not adjust well - she's far from mellow and calm. It's a tough call, sending
    Wishing I was Fishing

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Best of luck with your decision

6. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Wow, thanks guys. Very good comments and appreciate it
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

7. Member
    I did have a 3 legged golden retriever after an accident. Essentially, it was a a slow down hill ride after that. The dog put on weight and just compounded the issue. Its one of those deals where you talk yourself into the dog "being happy" and the Vet will tell you what you want to hear $. Maybe a lap dog would do well but a active dog in my opinion will not adjust well. If my german shorthair was faced with the same diagnoses I would have him put down based on past experience. Good luck with your decision, we love our pets and this part is never easy.
    2019 Phoenix 920

Friend of mine went through this last year with his German Shepherd, vet removed her leg. She never missed a beat, was as active as always, and happy. The cancer came back a few months later, worse than before, he had to have her put down. A couple months later his ACD suddenly got sick and died. He had a rough year! Now he has a 1 1/2 yr. old Lab, he also was given a Lab puppy when his sister moved. They are best friends and he's happy again. He spent a fortune on his GS to only lose her anyway...He said the hardest thing is to not be selfish, do what's best for the dog.

(606)305-1956

9. Member
    Tough decision for sure. to you

10. Member
    The sheltie has lived over 2/3rds of it's life expectancy. Even if the cancer doesn't come back it's still on the down hill side. Age has alot to do with being able to adapt.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

11. Member
    Put aside your feelings for the animal and do what's best for the dog. Had a bird dog with a cancerous front leg and let a new, young vet talk me into letting him treat her. He felt sure he beat the cancer but in the end it only extended her suffering. Because she was my favorite and best dog, I let my feelings for her come in to play and I've regretted it for many years.

Edit: I hope my response isn't taken as being too cold for your situation. I really do hate it that you are having to make the decision.

12. Member
    Hey Jim,

get the the surgery and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out then deal with that when its time. I know your wife loves that dog and if I were you I would do what she wants.
    John the Garage Doorman

13. Member
    I'm sitting here with Tin-Tin under my left arm. He's almost totally blind and deaf. He cries like a baby when one of my other dogs nips at him for invading their territory. I take him outside to do his poops and have to watch him carefully so he doesn't wander into something with his eyes open and scratch them. The other day I put some food in his bowl, he thought I was another dog and he nipped me. It didn't hurt because he only has 3 teeth left.
    Anyhow, i adopted him a few years ago when he was 12 or 13 from the ASPCA.

Each of us has to self evaluate when to pull the plug on our furry friend. Personally, I have seen quite a few 3 legged dogs and they seem to do pretty well.
    I must admit I got all choked up this morning over losing my Lily, July last year, after owning her for 14 years.
    I have no advice, only observations.

14. Member
    No advice here as ive never had a 3 legged dog, but the few i have seen do pretty well. I would at least try.

Whatever decision you decide, I hope for the best.

16. Member
    Friend had a 3 legged lab named tripod LOL. They lived out in the country and some dumb a$$ apparently thought it would be funny to shoot the dog. Well the dog ended up losing one of its front legs.

Dog adapted and was perfectly fine. Ran right with the other 2 dogs they had.

I think of it like this. If I were the dog I would want to be given a shot because you cant reverse death.

WeWent through the same thing with a great Dane back in November we immediately decided it was best to put him down he was only six years old

18. Member
    I have had some dogs that have come up with serious medical issues. I have to say that most people think how much it would mean "to them" to have some horrific medical procedure to save their dog. I take the dog into consideration. I won't let any animal suffer. The chances of long term survival for canine cancer is poor. Do you want to put the dog through a medical procedure only to have it die six months later? Personally I would not. That question can only be answered by the dogs master. Good luck with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    I have had some dogs that have come up with serious medical issues. I have to say that most people think how much it would mean "to them" to have some horrific medical procedure to save their dog. I take the dog into consideration. I won't let any animal suffer. The chances of long term survival for canine cancer is poor. Do you want to put the dog through a medical procedure only to have it die six months later? Personally I would not. That question can only be answered by the dogs master. Good luck with this.
    I feel same way. Tough now or very tough later.

My cousin currently has a 3 legged farm dog. You can't tell it doesn't have all 4 legs. I would have no problem amputating the leg, if I was relatively sure it would cure the dog. Like others said, dogs can get along quite well with 3 legs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast