Aluminum lids sweating ????

There has been many threads posted on this problem,
    and how to solve it. My question is what causes this???
    I have owed several all aluminum boats, and have never
    had the issue. Could it be that you are putting your wet
    boat in the garage after fishing in the rain, and in the
    drying process the lid sweating occurs.
    Since I dont fish in the rain, could this be why I haven't
    had the problem??? What's your theory???? LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

2. Banned
    Difference in temperature and humidity between inside of compartments, and outside. Glass and metal are culprits of this. Foam lining will help because it will absorb any moisture.Also, foam is not a culprit of temperature/humidity change like glass or metal.

This is my take:
    The moisture content of air captured inside the compartments is a function of the air’s temperature and relative humidity. Once the air is captured, the moisture is captured too and will remain captured until the air cools down past the dew point. When this moisture laden air contacts a colder surface, the moisture condenses out and collects as water droplets on that surface.
    There are several circumstances that affect the severity of this environment:
    — if there is existing moisture in the compartments, it is absorbed into the ambient air up to the extent possible based on the captured air temp. This is why it is so important to completely dry the compartments after a rain event. This could take several days of fans blowing on the carpet.
    — the relative humidity of the air captured in the compartment and the temperature difference of the outside air. I am in a relatively humid part of the country but have noticed from fishing trips in Louisiana and Florida that theirs are much worse. I also notice that the condensation problem is worse when my boat is stored in my boat slip as opposed to covered in my driveway.
    — most of the compartments are surrounded by foam which serves as insulation tending to keep the compartment air at a higher temp than the outside air.
    — the aluminum lids are good conductors and will very quickly assume the temperature of the outside air. Insulating the underside of these lids prevents the moisture laden air from contacting the cooler surface and condensing moisture. It does not however change the amount of moisture in the captured air so if anything inside the compartment (reels or tackle trays) cools below the dew point, it condenses moisture. This is the reason ventilation helps because it extracts the moisture laden air and stabilizes the air temp inside and outside the compartment.
    There is no silver bullet in solving this problem, but it is important to start by making sure all the compartments are thoroughly dried after a rain event.
    Hope this is insightful.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This is my take:
    The moisture content of air captured inside the compartments is a function of the air’s temperature and relative humidity. Once the air is captured, the moisture is captured too and will remain captured until the air cools down past the dew point. When this moisture laden air contacts a colder surface, the moisture condenses out and collects as water droplets on that surface.
    — if there is existing moisture in the compartments, it is absorbed into the ambient air up to the extent possible based on the captured air temp. This is why it is so important to completely dry the compartments after a rain event. This could take several days of fans blowing on the carpet.
    — the relative humidity of the air captured in the compartment and the temperature difference of the outside air. I am in a relatively humid part of the country but have noticed from fishing trips in Louisiana and Florida that theirs are much worse. I also notice that the condensation problem is worse when my boat is stored in my boat slip as opposed to covered in my driveway.
    — most of the compartments are surrounded by foam which serves as insulation tending to keep the compartment air at a higher temp than the outside air.
    — the aluminum lids are good conductors and will very quickly assume the temperature of the outside air. Insulating the underside of these lids prevents the moisture laden air from contacting the cooler surface and condensing moisture. It does not however change the amount of moisture in the captured air so if anything inside the compartment (reels or tackle trays) cools below the dew point, it condenses moisture. This is the reason ventilation helps because it extracts the moisture laden air and stabilizes the air temp inside and outside the compartment.
    There is no silver bullet in solving this problem, but it is important to start by making sure all the compartments are thoroughly dried after a rain event.
    Hope this is insightful.

^yeah,that too!^

5. Banned
    Some of my compartments on my Polarkraft are vented. My separate TM battery compartments have 2" vent covers in the lids, and my rear battery/gas tank area has a couple 2" vent cover in lids. also, my bow center rod compartment.
    You can see the 2-3" round vent covers on the compartments if you look close at picture below.
    ones on rear deck are gray, and ones on side edge of bow rod locker are black and more noticeable in picture.
    boat.jpg
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 01-18-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Some of my compartments on my Polarkraft are vented. My separate TM battery compartments have 2" vent covers in the lids, and my rear battery/gas tank area has a couple 2" vent cover in lids. also, my bow center rod compartment.
    That is good Engineering!! The value of these kind of design details are never recognized unless you do not have them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This is my take:
    Hope this is insightful.
    Bill, I'm sorry I asked !!!! That caused you tooooooo much thought on your day off. Ck will be in da mail. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    Bill, I'm sorry I asked !!!! That caused you tooooooo much thought on your day off. Ck will be in da mail. LDS
    Sorry Larry. I am a recovering Engineer, been through the first step 12 times.

9. Member
    I have never had a problem with mine sweating. I do not put tackle or rods away when wet. If carpet gets wet it is dried out before storage. I leave plug out when no in water and have battery compartment door propped open. My boat is no stored in side. Mostly just outside with cover on it and some time with cover under a carport.
    Semper Fi