Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have a complete set of Craft man tool, Wrenches, ratchet. Sockets 1/4 to 1/2 bought them in the late sixties, the only thing that has been replaced was some of the gear sets in the ratchets. Back then they replace anything that broke or replaced them. I don't know if that is true now though. I also own some Overpriced Snap on specialty tools that were bought on sight because I needed it at the time. They been used through the years in my boat building days to my retirement from the Aero Space Industry. Back then they built quality tools .

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton 186 View Post
    Only 15% of their tools are made in the USA , 75% Taiwan , 10% China

This is true as They started out as originally all Chinese tools. They have slowly begun moving stuff to Taiwan and USA. From everything I have read, Taiwan sockets are top notch.

they also plan on apparently shifting even more tool production to the us.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonman View Post
    Moved our Snap-On factory to Mexico 20 years ago. Devastated the community. Not too fond of Snap-on now.

what was made in the plant there before the move? toolboxes? carts?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantman83 View Post
    This is true as They started out as originally all Chinese tools. They have slowly begun moving stuff to Taiwan and USA. From everything I have read, Taiwan sockets are top notch.

they also plan on apparently shifting even more tool production to the us.

hate to say it but the Taiwan plants are full of new state of the art manufacturing machinery and can and do make very good tools if they want to!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    hate to say it but the Taiwan plants are full of new state of the art manufacturing machinery and can and do make very good tools if they want to!!
    The Carlyle tools by NAPA are made in Taiwan, Not quite Snap on Quality, but not far behind either.

For a good quality tool at a working mans price, either Carlyle, SK, or Wright.

6. Member
    The snap-on plant made sockets sets and end wrenches

7. Member
    I think some of Snap On stuff is now made overseas and assembled in the US. Seems I remember hearing or seeing the ratchets no longer say made in the USA but assembled in the USA.

Might be wrong.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    The Carlyle tools by NAPA are made in Taiwan, Not quite Snap on Quality, but not far behind either.

For a good quality tool at a working mans price, either Carlyle, SK, or Wright.

sk pricey and terrible on warranty, wright hard to get service on warranty also
    MAGA

9. Member
    Hi guys. OP here. Thx to all for your advice and guidance. I’ve got some shopping to do. As for those taking shots at me for abusing the tools, that’s not true. I know how to use tools. I just didn’t know how to buy them. Now I do. Thx again!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Out of curiosity what all do you do for insurance purposes in regards to documentation. Ive asked my agent a couple times what I need to do and all he has said is maybe take pics and upload to the cloud. I mean I guess I can take a pic of each tool box drawer but that still doesnt really show what all is in the box. I have thousands of drill bits / end mills / reamers / HSS / collets / adapters / etc etc. If I had a fire or someone pulled up with a truck when I was away they could unload me.

My agent doesnt seem to act like its a big deal I however feel like I would get screwed by the agency if something happened.
    Close up pics of each drawer. I have one of the biggest S.O. Tool boxes. Corvette edition. I have everything organized so you can see exactly what is in each drawer. Bits and drills are in their own case. If it is something not really a normal tool I have a pic of just that one item. Took a while to do it but after I printed out pic and made multiple copies of each. One set of pics are in my gun safe,one set is in safety deposit box at bank, My son , who will receive the tools,has a copy. I included pics of my welder,plasma cutter,grinders,torches,jacks, and air/battery operated impacts and ratchets. It is an insurance company and the adjuster will try to rip you a new one. I have just tried to make his job as hard as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob461 View Post
    For any kind of pliers it’s hard to beat Knipex quality. They are German made and can be found on amazon.
    Best pliers around. Menards actually carries them too.

12. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Most Pawn Shops will have all kinds of used tools at a fraction of the cost, check them out.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Klein tools make nice stuff and made in USA

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cneubass79 View Post
    Best pliers around. Menards actually carries them too.
    Man I wish our pawn shops were like that. I look through them at times and most of what I see is maybe 15-20% less than new. I bought a router table from one on a whim and price checked it later after I got home and used it. It was only about 15 bucks cheaper than new and that was them taking 5 bucks off the price.

15. Member
    Knipex for pliers
    Felo for screwdrivers.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jacob461 View Post
    For any kind of pliers it’s hard to beat Knipex quality. They are German made and can be found on amazon.
    +1 on Knipex. For screwdrivers, check out Wiha. They are German also and top notch.
    Currently Not Boatless Bank Trash
    2013 King Ranch F150 4x4

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Close up pics of each drawer. I have one of the biggest S.O. Tool boxes. Corvette edition. I have everything organized so you can see exactly what is in each drawer. Bits and drills are in their own case. If it is something not really a normal tool I have a pic of just that one item. Took a while to do it but after I printed out pic and made multiple copies of each. One set of pics are in my gun safe,one set is in safety deposit box at bank, My son , who will receive the tools,has a copy. I included pics of my welder,plasma cutter,grinders,torches,jacks, and air/battery operated impacts and ratchets. It is an insurance company and the adjuster will try to rip you a new one. I have just tried to make his job as hard as possible!
    Yeah I need to do that. I guess I cant document every bit etc but I can at least give a general number and maybe a size range along with a pic. Some of these endmills or reamers etc can be 50.00+ a piece new. You get several hundred of them collected along with all the measuring equipment / gauges / hand tools etc and you are in for thousands that would most likely just be sold at a flea market or on ebay.

Did you take any special policy for all of it ? I asked about and was told it was not needed which makes me a little worried.

18. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Klein

19. Member

20. Member
    One thing about plyers is look for the words "drop forged" permanently stamped in them. Many companies here and abroad make good products.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast