Is it a 2007 Mercury 250 Pro XS or NOT ?

Mercury 250 pro xs (250XS L 1B479666) Bought a new to me boat with a mercury 2007 Pro XS 250. The previous owner stated that the engine cut off while running. After looking over the motor, I noticed a hole in the long Block. I started researching part numbers, ( on the block 885-9811-C23- Rev B), (PCM 0308m) now I’m thinking that this is a 2004 200hp 4M9XM02CC (air compressors) , with a 250 lower. With all that being said I am confused and needing help on my next step, With the engine.

2. Member
    It looks like just what you said, a 250 lower and a 200 block, but it doesn't really matter if that 200 punched a rod through the block it's toast anyway. I'd be looking for a good used Pro XS, or a new 4 stroke merc if it's in the budget?

I've seen a few bigger bass boat dealers over near you selling used motors because a lot of anglers are repowering with 4 strokes while their two-strokes still have some resale value. Your choice...
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

3. Member
    Thank you Fishfreq! Yeah I think the previous owner got over on me, but karma is a b****. I’m thinking about getting a remanufactured power head (250 pro xs) for the time being. Run it for awhile and save up for a 4 stroke in a year or so. Just curious what were the names of some of those dealerships?!

4. Member
    Check with Don at European Marine as he is board sponsor and moderator. He may have used options for you and can give you details and pricing on all mercury new and reman options. I would be wary of problems with mid and lower so he can also help make sure those parts are even worth hanging on to...

5. Member
    Thanks Jtreed99 for your help. I will get in touch with Don this week and form a plan!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As I mentioned in another post, this appears to be a 250 ProXS clamp and midsection, a later-style 250 ProXS Cowling, and a 2003-2004 vintage powerhead, lower cowlings, electronics, fuel system, electrical system, etc. Pieced together hodge-podge.

Understand you just bought it recently... I find it hard to believe that the seller did not know this.

At any rate... when you get ready to do something with it, remind me and we will discuss a full-dresser.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Possible "Blackbird" motor for sure.......all the tell tale signs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjordan310 View Post
    Thank you Fishfreq! Yeah I think the previous owner got over on me, but karma is a b****. I’m thinking about getting a remanufactured power head (250 pro xs) for the time being. Run it for awhile and save up for a 4 stroke in a year or so. Just curious what were the names of some of those dealerships?!
    As Don said, that 200 powerhead likely has all the 200 hp ECM, DFI parts, so you will not be able to just put a reman 250 powerhead in there, you'll need all those parts too. Hope you got a decent deal on that boat because the motor was popped? I wonder if it ever ran in that configuration? Maybe he swapped, took the 250 powerhead entire assembly and put it under his 200 HP cowl on his boat...?
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686