Question Replacing Carpet

Hey Im new to the site but love all the info Im finding. Im about to redo the carpet in my 93 Nitro 180tf. I ended up getting bassboatseats.com size 16 carpet, pro tech matting, and weldwood contact cement. About to knock out the job shortly and had a couple small questions. My old carpet is pulling up easy and whole, and it would be easy to trace and cut as a template, but since Im adding pro tech matting should I add width to the template to compensate for the matting that will raise it up a little bit?? My boat doesnt have any carpet trim. Also, how do you do seat bases when recarpeting? My logical guess would be put the matting around 1-2” from the seat post hole, 45* the edges and then carpet all the way to the seat base hole and singe the edges with heat?
    Thanks!! Pat

2. Member
    Welcome aboard GearHead. For the boat deck I would use your existing carpet as a template. Cut the new carpet a little large and trim after doing a test fit. For the lids I would trace the lid on the carpet then add what you need to wrap the edges. Cut out the carpet then glue to the lid. When I did mine I glued the flat portion and let it dry prior to wrapping/gluing the edges. This is how I did mine. You may find a better way.

3. Member
    Awesome thanks for the info!

4. Member
    Just be sure the Npa of the carpet is running the same direction, or you will have a checkered boat when completed

5. Member
    Yup definitely!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Just be sure the Npa of the carpet is running the same direction, or you will have a checkered boat when completed
    After I did my first job the next one I drew arrows on the back hahahaha. Live and learn.

7. Member
    If you're new to carpet I guess using the old crap is good, maybe. I used to do 100 Sea Rays a month, 23 and the 24 with a 25 thrown in once and a while. We didn't have patterns, I've done a couple hundred bass boats over the past 10-11 years. The only thing I will save for a pattern is the cockpit floor, and then if it's trash I will make a small pattern for the walk though area, and with that I can cut my floor carpet, piece of cake. I would never make a pattern for anything else, it's a waist of time. Mark the direction of your lids, arrow pointing to the back of the boat. If you look at the side of the carpet roll when it shows up you can see the dirrection of the cut pile, like hair on a dogs back, you want it pointing to the back of the boat, like water off a ducks back.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. Member
    Are you in Chandler, OK?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92basshawk View Post
    Are you in Chandler, OK?
    Az
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR