SI and screen resolution?

Looking at upgrading my mfd at the wheel. I currently have a 1040xs and dont have much luck seeing fish on SI. Is there a significant difference (real world) between say a 1242 and the new 8600s? Any idea what sort of max resolution the transducers are even capable of?

I feel luke the brighter more detailed display would help, though an 8600 is way overkill for my use.

2. Member
    Looks like the humminbird units which seem to be leading the pack on SI are only running 1280x800 pixels so maybe the 8600 is overkill?

3. Member
    Simple answer is No....I've look at both a lot and very little difference in SI between the 2. Garmin is just behind in the side scanning game.

4. Member
    Id like to upgrade but really gun-shy to buy anything right now. Feels like theres something new right around the corner. I know garmin just released a few new uhd si transducers but still seems like they could be ready to leapfrog humminbird at any time. Unless humminbird has a great patent on their side imaging I have to believe garmin could do as good or better.

5. Member
    I wish Garmin would improve their side imaging, seems they are in 3rd or even 4th place out of the 4 major manufactors. Until they do I'll continue to run units from multiple manufacturers to get the best from each.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Id like to upgrade but really gun-shy to buy anything right now. Feels like theres something new right around the corner. I know garmin just released a few new uhd si transducers but still seems like they could be ready to leapfrog humminbird at any time. Unless humminbird has a great patent on their side imaging I have to believe garmin could do as good or better.
    Yes Hummingbird has a great patent on their side imaging hence the release of the LSS2 transducer by Lowrance years ago. I seem to stir the pot so think about this. Garmin owns Navionics that Hummingbird Units have had access to for the last several years now. I’m not sure how long that licensing agreement is but...............................

AND the conspiracy theory is THIS!!! - I don’t think garmin “just bought” Navionics to buy Navionics. Timeline of acquisition was oddly in 2017 during the Garmin CV/GT scandal. Garmin/Lowrance settled by licensing limited Panoptix technology to Lowrance for use of the down element in the Garmin transducers. I’m a betting man so MY bet is on a licensing swap between HB/ Garmin for cross licensing of Navionics Mapping/ Hummingbird Side Imaging. As the swaps have shown, Hummingbirds Side imaging will still be much better and Garmins will improve. Garmin has a “Monster Hand” with Navionics Mapping/Interphase Patents. Garmin users can only benefit if the hand is played right.

Yes. There may be something new right around the corner. I’ve held off on a second MFD and Ducer for several months on a hunch. I hope my hunch is right because I’m tired of waiting.........................
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

7. Member
    I use Lakemaster maps on my Birds, better than Navionics maps on the lakes that I fish so I wish you were right but I don't think so.

8. Banned
    For Garmin's transducer selection is going to have a bigger impact over screen resolution when it comes to side imaging. Even then the results could be better. At least in my experience you'll compromise image quality for soft returns.

I really wish they would add pre-sets for transducer settings. I like them set two different ways depending on if I'm wanting the best image for finding structure, or not so good of an image when looking for fish.

9. Member
    If I remember correctly you have GPSMAP units. What transducer preset is not working for you?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    If I remember correctly you have GPSMAP units. What transducer preset is not working for you?
    I would like to be able to create my own presets. Get the settings just how I like them and have 3-4 presets I can set so it's easy to switch between them. If it's part of my gpsmaps I have yet to find it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I use Lakemaster maps on my Birds, better than Navionics maps on the lakes that I fish so I wish you were right but I don't think so.
    Lakemaster has a limited area of coverage ( I concede it has gotten better) and the addition of Navionics mapping several years ago has opened up a sizable market share for Hummingbird and shouldn’t be discounted. I’m on the West Coast and I went Lowrance on my last setup due to zero Lakemaster mapping on this side of the Mississippi. HB did not offer Navionics at that time and I would have definitely gone HB at that time so I could use Link on my Terrova.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    Lakemaster has a limited area of coverage ( I concede it has gotten better) and the addition of Navionics mapping several years ago has opened up a sizable market share for Hummingbird and shouldn’t be discounted. I’m on the West Coast and I went Lowrance on my last setup due to zero Lakemaster mapping on this side of the Mississippi. HB did not offer Navionics at that time and I would have definitely gone HB at that time so I could use Link on my Terrova.
    Humminbirds have been Navionics compatible for over 15 years. My oldest Navionics card is a 2005 Hotmaps Premium East Region which works in Lowrance, older Garmins, Raymarine, etc. Prior to that version there were Humminbird-only specific cards, Lowrance-only specific cards, and other brand specific cards.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    You are only missing one thing, where to find it. Select Home->Sonar-Traditional. Then press MENU. When looking at the menu options, in the upper corner, just to the left of the Gain setting are two buttons. One with three lines and one with three vertical dots and a star. That's the one you want to press AFTER you have your settings the way you want them. Be creative in naming them. For example, I have multiple transducers so I include the numeric designation of the transducer in the name of the preset. Also I use different settings for crappie and walleye. I include that in the name. If you have multiple transducers connected, under the Sonar Setup options be sure to specify the source. Don't leave it on Auto. So I have separate presets for each transducer for 2d, SideVu, ClearVu and each also designated crappie or walleye. Same thing for PS22, PS30, and LVS32. Okay. Getting the presets set up is just Part 1. Make sure as you finish you indicate to save and "Done" and not "Back". If you choose Back, it's not saved.

Part 2 is to setup a SmartMode screen. Setting them up is identical to setting up the Combo screens. Once you have it setup. There is a menu option for Presets. That is where you select which presets to be linked to the SmartMode layout. After you do all this you may think you've lost your normal menu options. Press the button wiith the three horizontal lines to bring them back.

Most menu options are included. For example, for 2d, Source, Gain, Zoom, Range, Scroll Speed, Interference, Surface Noise, TVG, Color Scheme, Overlay Data, Depth Line, Color Limit, Color Gain, Smoothing, A-Scope, Edge, Shift,Echo Stretch, Bottom Track, Btm Srch.Limit, Frequency, and Presentation are all included. Within the menu, you can actually include or exclude these individually.

These are really convenient options. That is until you Reset Factory Defaults. That's why I am so familiar with them. Recently, some of my testing requires me to regularly Reset Factory Defaults. So I get to go in and build them all again from scratch.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

14. Member
    I have to think the rest of the gpsmap line is getting a upgrade soon. Doesnt make sense to have the ultra units with better screens than the gpsmap line. (Other than the 8600)

15. Banned
    I think the better question is "what is the resolution of the image being displayed". They could put 4K panels in these units, it's not going to change the resolution of the image the transducer is taking.

Just like your TV. Displaying a 1080 image on a 4K TV doesn't make the 1080 image 4K. It either stretches the image to fit, or there is processing taking place to "fill" in those extra pixels with what it thinks should be there.

16. Member
    Riccochet: A really excellent point.

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Garmin is smart on this they build 4 different models starting at 600 and than every one says well I’ll upgrade buy the next one until they get all the way to the 8600 ,garmin just sold every one 3-4 different models.Talk about up selling