Opinions needed/ wanted- Repair or replace?

Scratching my head over this. Informed today that it will cost approximately $6500 to get my 10 year old 200 Pro XS back to dependable condition. Bad news to get in my second week of retirement. Should I repair it or replace it with a 4 stroke? Another option I’ve thought of is replacing with an older carbed 2 stroke. I know nothing about EFI and DFI, but can do anything top to bottom on the carbed engines. Thoughts? Ideas?

2. Member
    with a factory serv manual and a lil help you could prob fix it too, look in 3.0L section for more info on your mtr also, lots of good used out there now also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I'm not sure what a 200 4s would cost you. I have an 8 yr old Yamaha SHO 4 stroke that the dealer stated has a cracked powerhead and quoted 12,800 to repair with a 1 yr warranty. A new SHO was 23,000. Since I was over 50% of the cost with a short warranty, I elected to change to a Merc 4 stroke with a 5 year warranty and saved a few thousand. My thought was that in 14 months, I could be going through this thing all over with another 12,800 repair bill. I don't know your finances so can't really advise you more than state, I'm replacing mine with a new unit with longer warranty. BTW, I only had 240 hours on the SHO.

4. Member
    this bass fishn is getting expensive isn't it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Your engine is covered in the 3L Forum (just a couple down the list). Best place for accurate information on your 200 ProXS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If I’m spending your money I would go new 4S. If I was spending my money I don’t have I would either look into an easy to repair carbed 2S (I have one) or into lightly used 2S Optimax, there are a lot of these coming up for sell as people upgrade to 4S, for really good prices. There is a 2015 250 with Platinum warranty for $10,500 for sell on the boards here. Older 2010-2012 models for about the same cost as your repair would be.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    If I’m spending your money I would go new 4S. If I was spending my money I don’t have I would either look into an easy to repair carbed 2S (I have one) or into lightly used 2S Optimax, there are a lot of these coming up for sell as people upgrade to 4S, for really good prices. There is a 2015 250 with Platinum warranty for $10,500 for sell on the boards here. Older 2010-2012 models for about the same cost as your repair would be.
    That would be Platinum Product PROTECTION (not warranty).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor