Windshield replacement?

I have a 2015 F-150 and the windshield has cracked. Looking to replace the windshield but I am not sure what direction to go. Are all replacement windshields the same? I would appreciate your input.

Ive never had any issues with aftermarket glass. Most of my repairs have been done by Safe-Lite
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    I haven't had any issues with aftermarket windshields. If your concerned about it ask for an oem piece of glass.

4. Member
    Make sure its acoustic glass.

5. Member
    Any windshield replacement company will offer close to the same options. My 2014 F150 needs a windshield.
    The options are, an original with dark shaded area and the F150 logo at top center. One with the shaded area without the logo, and one that has no shaded area.

I am getting the shaded model without the Logo. The logo adds quite a bit more cost.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    This is good to know. Thank you. I would not have thought about the shaded area. Joe

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Any windshield replacement company will offer close to the same options. My 2014 F150 needs a windshield.
    The options are, an original with dark shaded area and the F150 logo at top center. One with the shaded area without the logo, and one that has no shaded area.

I am getting the shaded model without the Logo. The logo adds quite a bit more cost.
    I was surprised how much more it was when I got mine.

Have only had one windshield replaced, but IMO at the time, the replacement chipped easier and with more damage done than the OEM. Hard to quantify that, of course.

Most folks get glass coverage with their comprehensive insurance...maybe you do? If you do, I'd go to the dealership and ask if they put the windshield in themselves and where they source it. If they sub it out, then go with whoever is cheapest. You might also ask your insurance company if that situation applies. Safe-Lite is a foreign owned company...French, IIRC.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

If u have a king ranch or platinum I sure hope u have glass coverage on it. They are very expensive.

10. Member
    I had mine replaced on my 2013 f150 and requested they use the factory windshield with the logo and sound screen. Cost me $400 installed. On my 2018 f250 king ranch they want $700 due to the camera. They quoted $500 for the glass and $200 for programming. I haven't quite brought myself to replace it yet.

11. Member
    For sure the quality is different, I’ve been in the Autoglass industry for 20 years. Carlite parts can be bought at any glass warehouse so they are actually quit a bit cheaper than buying through the dealer network. Your windshield costs the shops around 100.00 for carlite, now depending on how much they market it up to you is another thing. If you don’t go carlite at least go with a PGW or pilkington brand but make sure you don’t get DOT 563, that is a Chinese produced windshield. Pm me if you need any help

12. Member
    2 months ago; OE new windshield for my truck at the dealer was $1000 for the part only, no labor.
    -
    I went with Safelite; mobile service came to the house for $250 installed. Just go to their website for an online quote.
    -
    It may not be identical to glass from the dealer; but it looks great to me. And I can replace it 4 times thru Safelite and still be cheaper than one OE windshield at the dealer.

13. Member
    Fishing buddy had a turkey fly into his F-150 windshield. Safe lite came out and installed it at his house. He opted out of the ford logo, said it cost quite a bit more. He was happy with the job.

14. Member
    In Kentucky glass is free no deductible and no penalty.

15. Member
    I have a heated windshield in my suv. I hope I never have to replace it. I have had a few replaced in my work vans with no issues

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I did mine a few years ago in my F150...didnt make sense to pay extra for the "F150" imprint at top so aftermarket it was and still have it on today.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Have only had one windshield replaced, but IMO at the time, the replacement chipped easier and with more damage done than the OEM. Hard to quantify that, of course.

Most folks get glass coverage with their comprehensive insurance...maybe you do? If you do, I'd go to the dealership and ask if they put the windshield in themselves and where they source it. If they sub it out, then go with whoever is cheapest. You might also ask your insurance company if that situation applies. Safe-Lite is a foreign owned company...French, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by noodledude View Post
    In Kentucky glass is free no deductible and no penalty.

This is true for Ky. Even if you have bare minimum liability coverage, by law you still must have full window replacement coverage. Last year a coworker was telling me about throwing a rock with his mower and breaking his windshield. He made the comment that it would probably be cheaper to just buy a windshield than to turn it in on his home owners or make a claim on his vehicle. I explained to him how in KY windshield auto insurance works. He contact his insurance company and they gave him the contact for a company to replace his windshield. They came to work and changed it in the parking lot while he was at work...no charge.

18. Member
    Some of the none Oem windshields will streak when you clean them. At least one that I had did.

SafeLite replaced the windshield last summer on my wife’s Forester, it is a heated windshield. Close to $600 (no Eyesight, much more to align camera). In the sunlight you can see all those little marks, her OE windshield was 4 years old and didn’t show those pit marks, definitely not the same quality of glass.