Carpet cleaning question

I bought my 2016 BassCat used last summer.

Whenever the carpet gets wet from rain, or a little lake water, it dries and leaves some nasty looking white spots.

I've tried 2 or 3 times to clean the carpet well. The first time I used a spray in carpet cleaner with a brush and hose. That didn't fix it. The next two times I just used a brush, hose, and ship vac. Still no luck. It looks nice and clean until the next time it gets wet and dries. The white junk returns.

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas to clean it and get rid of it for good?
    2023 Puma STS

Could it be soap or that carpet freshener powder?

3. Member
    I figured it was residue from some sort of cleaning agent... I just can't seem to get it all out!
    2023 Puma STS

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    try barbasol shaving cream..

5. Member
    Have you tried to do a deep carpet shampoo cleaning in it?

6. Member
    I think Paul nailed it. Those carpet fresheners are the worst thing ever to happen to carpet. They collect at the base of the fibers and cut them just like ringing a tree when you walk across them. The fibers then fall over creating the "cow trails " you often see in carpet.

The other option is excess soap not properly rinsed out.
    In either event, vacuum while dry until you can't vacuum any more. Rinse with clear water and remove water with a wet vac. Repeat until all residue is removed. Never use a brush on carpet as a first option. Never put the soap into a carpet cleaner either. Mix the soap and spray it on with a pump up sprayer. Only put clean rinse water in your machine.

Last, and least likely cause, is the white powder could be the backing on the carpet breaking down and being pulled toward the surface by evaporating water. That shouldn't be it, given the age of your boat.