Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RangerTrail center jack rebuild

Last season my trailer jack became harder to crank up with weight. I put it on the winter maintenance to do list. First I cribbed the front of the trailer and removed the center jack. Removing the retaining clips and bushings was easy. Took a bit to figure out how to remove the jack from the trailer framing. Turning it in several positions it came out. Disassembly was easy after watching the how to video on Dutton-Lainson’ web site.

Simple cribbing.

Vise made disassembling easier.

Followed the video instructions and took pics for reference.

Punched the roll pin out half way and used the crank handle the shear the pin. This is explained well in the video.

Now just remove the handle and top and bottom gears. Before removing the bottom pin make sure your holding on the the lower jack assembly. Of coarse I didn’t and when I pulled the pin the lower section fell out and barely missed my foot.

Corrosion on the thrust bearing and washer were causing stiffness in operation. I was able to flush the bearing and clean the corrosion to reuse.

Corrosion on both housing tubes.

Cleaned and a fresh coat of cold galvanizing spray paint.

Assembly pics.

Installed and tested. Amazingly easier to operate!

Rebuild kit from Dutton-Lainson. In conclusion I could have gotten by with a new roll pin and a new thrust bearing. The kit they offer doesn’t come with a new thrust bearing. You can order that separate off their web site. Their customer service was very helpful on information regarding placing a parts order.
    Wayne
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 01-17-2020 at 07:20 PM.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Super job, but next time watch your foot.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Nice timing on this post, I need to do mine done this winter.

Replaced mine once, rebuilt twice. Easy after watching the video. The roll pin is 3/16x1" Bought at Ace hardware. Bought the repair kit as a backup.
    Never thought of the recoat on the tube. Thanks for a good idea.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliefan2 View Post
    Replaced mine once, rebuilt twice. Easy after watching the video. The roll pin is 3/16x1" Bought at Ace hardware. Bought the repair kit as a backup.
    Never thought of the recoat on the tube. Thanks for a good idea.
    Thanks for posting the roll pin size. That will save guys some $$.
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 01-20-2020 at 01:31 PM.

6. Member
    Nice job,, I noticed on my jack that sometimes moving it up and down it jumps like it missed a tooth on the gear, has anyone encountered something like this?? Or do you think changing the guts will fix it.
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerguyz21 View Post
    Nice job,, I noticed on my jack that sometimes moving it up and down it jumps like it missed a tooth on the gear, has anyone encountered something like this?? Or do you think changing the guts will fix it.
    It can only be one of two things.
    - Worm gears are worn, the replacement kit provides these parts
    - The threaded raising rod threads are getting bad. If this is the case replace the jack. (not likely)
    - Order a new thrust bearing if the jack can be repaired. If this is the original jack the bearing will be toast.
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 01-20-2020 at 06:20 PM.

8. Member
    You did a great job with the pictures. I will probably have to repair my center jack soon. Thanks for the info.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    It can only be one of two things.
    - Worm gears are worn, the replacement kit provides these parts
    - The threaded raising rod threads are getting bad. If this Is the case replace the jack. (not likely)
    - Order a new thrust bearing if the jack can be repaired. If this is the original jack the bearing will be toast.
    Thanks, dosen't look like theirs too much in there to go bad , I'll call them to order the bearing along with rest of kit
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerguyz21 View Post
    Thanks, dosen't look like theirs too much in there to go bad , I'll call them to order the bearing along with rest of kit

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill duffy View Post
    You did a great job with the pictures. I will probably have to repair my center jack soon. Thanks for the info.
    Thanks!

��

13. Member
    i replaced my thrust bearing also for the same reason as everybody else. I never understood why all the steel parts on the inside of that jack.

it is a jack that is intended for marine purposes and i would not think that it is unreasonable to think that water might get in there.
    my z118c sits high on the trailer so my jack gets submerged during launch and retrieve. i never remember to turn the jack upright
    when i leave so the rusty water comes out when i get home and put the jack down.

i never understood ranger's thought process on the selection of this jack.

i like my ranger and i thought ranger was known for doing things right, thus the increased price, but there is opportunity for improvement with this.

14. Member
    Got my parts ordered to work on current jack, HOWEVER. While researching my jack and it’s associated issues I discovered a newly designed jack on the Dutton-Lainson website a DLxP. It has a finish that matches the trailer and looks to be engineered properly the first time with 2 grease fittings as opposed to the poorly designed jack with only 1 grease fitting. It is rated for 1500 lbs as opposed to the current one at 1250 lbs. So I called Dutton-Lainson and talked to someone who could not tell me if the new jack would fit my trailer. He mentioned that he thought that was the jack they were sending out for some of the new Ranger trailers but wasn’t sure. So I called Ranger and the only thing the would tell me is the model number that came on my trailer. So, does anyone have a newer trailer that has a black jack on it? Is it a DLx? I do have to run up to the dealer next week and I can look at some new trailers while I’m there but if any knows now it would be great.
    Last edited by 620Ranger; 11-02-2020 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling

15. Member
    Found out tonight I was one of those guys that did not post a final solution to a problem, sorry it’s a pet peeve. I was able to replace the old version of the center jack with the newer version that comes on the new model boats. When I was at the Ranger dealer they said the model # was different and didn’t know if it would replace the old version, they had both versions in stock so we compared them. Everything on the mounting was the same and it bolted right up.

16. Member
    This would probably be a good to add to the Maintenance section.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 620Ranger View Post
    Found out tonight I was one of those guys that did not post a final solution to a problem, sorry it’s a pet peeve. I was able to replace the old version of the center jack with the newer version that comes on the new model boats. When I was at the Ranger dealer they said the model # was different and didn’t know if it would replace the old version, they had both versions in stock so we compared them. Everything on the mounting was the same and it bolted right up.
    So can you post a part # so others can order the new and improved jack.?

18. Member
    New model # is listed in post #14, DLx.
    Last edited by 620Ranger; 11-02-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Sp

19. Member
    Oh,OK I guess I got a little confused about it.!
    I figured that was a model # and still needed a part #.
    Thanks for the help

20. Member
    The problem I had is when I called Dutton Lianson they had no idea what jack would fit a Ranger trailer. That is when I went to the Ranger dealer and they had both versions, the old model that came on the boat and the new DLx jack that comes on the newer boats. We compared the two and they were the same. I do not know what the Ranger part number is for the jack and I am hesitant to post the Dutton Lianson part number since the mounting plate on the website looks slightly different so I’m not sure if there is a “special “ Ranger version of the DLx that is only sold to Ranger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast