Question Turkey Hunting? Wanting to go after a Rio... Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska??

Me and a group of friends made a decision to start going somewhere every turkey season together a couple years back. The last 2 years we have been to LBL in Western Kentucky and this year we've decided we'd like to go after a Rio somewhere.

Not looking for a pay hunt. Public land or possibly pay a reasonable amount to hunt some private land. We camped the last 2 years but going this far I imagine we would need lodging.

Can permission still be obtained in the midwest by knocking on doors ? I've heard stories all my life that hardly anyone cares about the turkeys out there.

Any info is appreciated. Suggestions are welcome. PM me if you like.

Thank you.

Triton_ProXS

2. Member
    For Kansas i'd say the further west you can go the better off you'd be for a Rio most of the state has hybrid Rio/Eastern turkey anymore. Also keep in mind Kansas is in the process of changing it's bag limit to possibly 1 bird per hunter to the best place to check for regulations would be Kansas department of wildlife an parks website https://ksoutdoors.com/.
    We have an early archery season which would be best for unpressured birds an there is success on public, but once shotgun season starts they get pressured pretty heavily they'll stop gobbling an run the other way when they hear a vehicle. Knocking on doors still exists an there is also WIHA for turkey season as well.

3. Member
    Western Kansas is still good but not as great as it was 5-10 years ago. You may have luck knocking on doors out west but the further you get away from Topeka, the better. Lots of public and walk-in land available too but would require some scouting. Good luck.

4. Member
    You're not going to find Rios in Missouri or Nebraska. Missouri is still Easterns and Nebraska is Easterns, Merriam's, and a hybrid of the two. That leaves you Kansas, and as Skucius said, much of that state is a Rio/Eastern hybrid. If you want a true Rio, you'll need to do your homework in Kansas on both location, and then bird identification once there. Easiest way for a true Rio is head to Texas, if that is indeed what you are looking for to complete the slam.

Good luck!

Thanks much for the comments... we definitely still got to decide where we are headed. Just a great group of friends enjoying a trip together every year. We are all seasoned in the realm of turkey woods and love it.

Oklahoma has some good Rio public land hunting...Texas, not so much..mostly private.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Blackkettle national grasslands here in western OK. TONS OF PUBLIC GROUND More Rios here than I’ve seen anywhere.

8. Member
    North central KS. Concordia area, big birds and good numbers. Ive got several thousand acres of family land there and we hunt it every spring season and never have an issue bagging out mature long beards.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Oklahoma has some good Rio public land hunting...Texas, not so much..mostly private.
    (Sssshhhh!!!! He wasn't asking about Oklahoma's Rio chickens)

Better to stay in Missouri and Nebraska to hunt Rios friend. They're way more accessible up in those parts.

Brady 20.jpg

-b-

Thanks for the added comments guys. Keep em coming... many thanks!

11. Member
    yes sssssshhhh about Oklahoma thunder chicken hunting !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Bump to the top...

Thanks guys

13. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Come by the house. Got three of them out front right now. They just separated from the hens last week. Almost Turkey time

20170423_091854(0).jpg20170423_091854(0).jpgHave them in the yard every Spring, but I lease out.

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Come by the house. Got three of them out front right now. They just separated from the hens last week. Almost Turkey time
    Mercy me I love to see and hear them birds talking in the spring time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    20170423_091854(0).jpg20170423_091854(0).jpgHave them in the yard every Spring, but I lease out.
    A sight to see right there!! Love it and never can get enough of the turkey woods!! GAWWLLLLL

I like North central KS. We used to go every year, haven't for several. I will be back. Some fun hunting, we hunted public and private. Most landowners when we knocked on doors said, "Why would you want to shoot a turkey?" or "Why would you come from Indiana to shoot a turkey?" then follow up and say , "Kill them all!"