Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Selling due to trailer?

I hate to be “that guy”, but in all honesty has anybody sold or thought about selling their boat due to the crappy trailer. At this point i think we all know our boats have a major trailer issue. Some guys get lucky and dont have an issue, but most of us have. I have a 2 year old boat and theres an issue with nearly every prt of my trailer. The gatorhyde is lifting, im sure getting rust under it. I have a brake thats locked up and a couple hubs slinging grease. The trailer pops so loud making a turn in the parking lot ive had multiple people ask me whats wrong with my trailer and i really dont know and neither did marine master. Ive heard all the blah blah blah about its to be expected, but honestly it shouldnt be expected on a 2 year old trailer. I love my phoenix boat and everything about it, but i dont trust the trailer to get me out of the garage. When i get the trailer fixed up im considering listing my boat and going a different direction.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    my boat will be 6years old in April and of the issues I've had with the rig, 95% have been with the trailer. The worst was fitment of the hull to the trailer. My wild guess is they gave me a trailer for a 619 but my boat is a 618. That said, my boat trailers great when on the interstate. I tow 1000 miles in the fall to Florida and leave the boat, I trailer 1000 back in may and fish sparingly in KY. Trailer tracks true behind my SUV and far better then my previous Rangertrail.

I'm starting to see some bubbles on gatorhide and my axle leaks water. My thinking is to chuck the trailer around year 10 to 12 and if I can find someone good, get an all Alum trailer. The boat is golden and motor is strong.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

My trailer has to be the worst out of everyone’s but maybe not. These are my current issues.

1. blinker lights on the left side hardly ever work. Been 90% off and 10% working since 2017. This pisses me off a lot.
    2. trailer pops just like the OP when turning. Sounds like it’s 25 years old. This doesn’t make me upset at all tho.
    3. brakes suck so bad I just took the pads out and never replaced them. I gave up on fixing this.
    4. A lot of slop in the trailer. This I don’t really care about for now.
    5. This is a real major one. This fall power loading I eventually snapped the bow roller off the trailer. My friend is working on welding it back on and I’m not even that guy that slams his boat on the trailer. Usually I crank the last 6” or so.
    6. I have a lot of rust on the trailer. The gatorhyde is holding up well imo. I do have paint over it but there is a lot of rust on the axle and swing away area and leaf springs. I do live in northern New York and we salt the roads and I fish in the winter and work on the boat which requires me towing down the road all year around.

i Just replaced my tires this winter. I have not blow any yet. So far my hubs have been great. I would not consider selling my Phoenix because of the trailer.
    Last edited by haus9393; 01-18-2020 at 03:00 PM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

The thought has crossed my mind. Can’t stand the trailer. The main reason I haven’t is I don’t want to go through the hassle of buying a new boat lol.

5. Member
    Sucks to hear this. Has there been any talk of Phoenix building their own trailers in house? I know Skeeter went that route. Not sure if their own built trailer is any better as I do not own one

I took my pads off also and haven't replaced them. After 4 hubs I was done with it.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

7. Member
    The trailer was one of the reasons I sold my 21 PHX. I loved the boat, but felt that the trailer was not on par. I’d consider buying a Phoenix again if they include a decent trailer...it doesn’t have to be the caliber of Ranger or Basscat...it just needs to be decent.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

This is not good!!

9. Scraps
    I was thinking about some of the brake issues. Particularly the locked caliper issues. When I replaced the forward brake line - I broke a fitting while bleeding - I found the stock brake line from actuator to first axle, it's a 19ft piece of flexible tubing, was coiled up inside the frame behind the actuator. Like folded up inside the frame making really tight bends in the line. When I replaced mine I pulled all of that coiled up line out and leave it laying on top of the spare, not coiled up in the frame. After adding bleeders to each caliper, MarineMaster's suggestion, my brakes now work at least. But it was a PITA getting to that point. I could never get a good bleed on the system and brakes worked on half the trailer.

I also have the electrical grounding issues. Night and day trailer quality compared to my old 18 yr old RangerTrail.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

You can order them now with an aluminum trailer......if you have lots of documented issues it might be worth a call to Tim to see if they would greatly discount one and work a swap with you.
    Just a thought....you already have a "No" if you don't ask

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    You can order them now with an aluminum trailer......if you have lots of documented issues it might be worth a call to Tim to see if they would greatly discount one and work a swap with you.
    Just a thought....you already have a "No" if you don't ask
    I would agree. If you have major issues with a 2014 trailer then you are beyond the window in my opinion. If you have issues with a 2017 I would call and ask for help. I'd be very polite and push until they tell you No. Then post away in a thread like this.
    2024 Phoenix 818

12. Member
    Wow ?.... actually my trailer has been the “Best” thing about my rig !.... 50k miles “& no probs !... so many miles , that the actuator pins & wear plate ‘ were worn out !... that’s the only thing I have had to do !, besides new tires !...,

I agree the trailers are junk. I don’t understand why so many boat manufacturers use marine master. There making trailers for caymus now.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    I agree the trailers are junk. I don’t understand why so many boat manufacturers use marine master. There making trailers for caymus now.
    They do. The same company makes covers for them too

15. Member
    when I was looking to get into a new boat this is what kept me from going to Phoenix same trailer as my old Triton had and same issues

16. Member
    I haven't had any real issues with my trailer so i cant say much. I can say that marine master is on the Phoenix facebook group and they are always helping people out with parts and stuff I see on there. They must have good customer service.

i believe the gentlemen's name is Clyde.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by ONECASTAWAY View Post
    I haven't had any real issues with my trailer so i cant say much. I can say that marine master is on the Phoenix facebook group and they are always helping people out with parts and stuff I see on there. They must have good customer service.

i believe the gentlemen's name is Clyde.
    This is true, and good. One of my posts was intercepted on FB and MM helped me out. But why do some many 1 season old trailers need so much work? Should not be.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Most of the issues that people are having are parts sold by UFP/Dexter. These same parts are used on almost every trailer made in the boat industry. Since Dexter bought UFP these “made in China” parts have gotten worse. Most of the brake problems are due to the actual pad coming unglued from the metal backing destroying the rotors. What was left of mine had “made in China” written all over it. Marine Master was quick to send me what i needed and i fixed it without needing to replace the caliper as they never locked up. Been fine for over a year now. Sucks that Phoenix and Marine Master get the blame for shotty parts by UFP/Dexter. Not many options unless they switch to Tie Down brand components but in my experience they are even worse.

19. Member
    I was vetting frustration to my local mechanic about issues on my 09 Toyota whereas my 05 Toyota's need almost no services. He made the point to me that parts have gone to chit across the board. Parts that they are built with, parts we use to replace them. So maybe Sthomas makes a valid point.

What this thread does to me is to stay with my current rig and not trade in. Imagine trading a rig with no issues for a new one with. no thanks
    2024 Phoenix 818

20. Member
    They are cheaper

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast