Thread: G2 250

G2 250

I am looking at a new Ranger Z520L with a G2 Evinrude 250. Always been Yamaha/Merc guy. Give me the pros/cons that you have for the G2.
    I am interested in Cost to run. Oil/fuel/maintenance.
    Also reliability and any known issues. Almost no one around me runs the Evinrude, so I really have no personal contacts to ask.
    The motor is the only thing holding me back at this point.
    Thanks.

My G2 she been great. She is a beast. They use very little oil, good on gas, burn very clean and powerful. I got the 10 year warranty when I bought mine. I think the current offer is 7 years and $2,000.00 rebate.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

3. Member
    Ive been very happy with my 250HO. As stated above, powerful, sips gas and the steering has been great. I was a mercury guy before, possibly out of ignorance. Also, no maintenance for the first 5 years.
    2007 Champion 210
    2017 Evinrude G2 250 HO
    Lowrance Carbons, SS3D and Airmar TM150

4. Member
    About 6 hours on my 2019 225 HO G2. Running Merc’s for 30+ years. It’s really to early to tell but all I can say after 6 hours is WOW! I’m really impressed!

5. Member
    I love my G2. I would wager a decent amount of money that the fuel economy would make up for and even beyond the increased cost of the 2-stroke oil. Said another way, the Merc or Yamaha will burn so much more gas that they will cost you more to run than the G2 for gas and oil. The stability at speed is unlike any other motor.

6. Member
    It has something (optional) besides the awesome power of the 2 cycle, and that is the Evinrude electronic foot throttle that gives instant throttle response. Love my Evinrude G2 150HO on my Vexus aluminum AVX1980. G2 sips the fuel, add oil every 5th trip, no smoke, quiet, no maintenance for 5 years, 10 year warranty, 2 second hole shot, easy smooth electronic shifting, no grinding gears with a G2 outboard.

You should study all of the technology that is included in this engine. There are many YouTube videos about this outboard I watched to get a feel for how different it is from all other outboard motors.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    My G2 she been great. She is a beast. They use very little oil, good on gas, burn very clean and powerful. I got the 10 year warranty when I bought mine. I think the current offer is 7 years and $2,000.00 rebate.
    I second that !!! It is every thing they say it is. 2017 Ranger Z520C 250HO G2

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I love my G2. I would wager a decent amount of money that the fuel economy would make up for and even beyond the increased cost of the 2-stroke oil. Said another way, the Merc or Yamaha will burn so much more gas that they will cost you more to run than the G2 for gas and oil. The stability at speed is unlike any other motor.
    I can vouch that the savings in fuel makes up for the cost of 2 stroke oil. I went from burning 800 gallons a year in my carb johnson to burning less than 400 gallons a year. I use the same amount of oil, but spend about 350 on oil vs 200. I have zero things I don't like about the motor. The only thing I was apprehensive about was the extra 87 lbs vs the old johnson 200, but that was a non-factor.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

9. Member
    Do you guys have both the hand and foot throttle? How do you like the electronic foot throttle.
    is it harder to feel comfortable with being so small and hanging instead of being on the floor?

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    In conjunction with the awesome power of the 2 cycle, the Evinrude G2 gives instant throttle response. Love my Evinrude G2 150HO on my Ranger RT198p. G2 sips the fuel, add oil every 5th trip (simple to add), no smoke, quiet, no maintenance for 5 years, 10 year warranty, 2 second hole shot, easy smooth electronic shifting, no grinding gears with a G2 outboard.

You should study all of the technology that is included in this engine. There are many YouTube videos about this outboard I watched to get a feel for how different it is from all other outboard motors.
    What he ^^^^^ said, with edits incorporated.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Do you guys have both the hand and foot throttle? How do you like the electronic foot throttle.
    is it harder to feel comfortable with being so small and hanging instead of being on the floor?
    Love it
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

12. Banned
    200 ish hours so far so good....fuel economy is a plus apparently they were about 20% better than the 4 strokes....likely even a bit more...power is impressive

13. Member
    Closing in on 200 hours on my 300 G2. Other than a key switch that was easily replaced under warranty, I've done nothing but dump fuel and oil in it. Starts instantly, runs like a scalded cat, pushes my heavy Lynx 72 fully loaded with 2 men and way too much crap, 76-77 light fuel and just myself. I too worried if I was making the right choice but the 10 year warranty finally solidified my choice and I have no regrets at all.

Thats running a 26 HO Raker. Have not tried any other props as I hate to "experiment" at $700+ a pop!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

14. Member
    Good to see all the great reviews. I ordered a boat last week and went with a 200 G2 after a lot of research as I was previously set on a Suzuki/Yamaha 4S. All of you seem to confirm the performance claims and what the dealer communicated about their experience with the G2s.

15. Member
    Thanks guys.
    My boat deal fell thru, but now it’s good to be able to shop and feel confident on the G2 motors.