Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lews reels that slip!!

I have a dozen or so Lews reels ranging from high to mid range in price and I would say Half of these have issues with the anti reverse bearing slipping. Jerk , jerk, slip, CUSS or as I'm pulling a Jackhammer from the lake the resistance alone makes it slip, and my all time favorite is when I'm popping my line to free a hung bait, NICE timing.

My question is does anyone else have this problem? I had a couple Shimano's do this and I stopped buying those and went to Daiwa and have had ZERO issues BUT I keep lucking into Lews at a FANTASTIC price and the dumb butt in me keeps thinking maybe these won't slip.

Daiwa from here out for this guy.

I have about the same number but none are the really high end stuff. Never had this problem with any of them and some of them are 7-8 years old.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    I have a dozen or so and have never had that happen

4. Member
    I have close to 20 Lew's reels from low end to high end and I have never had the problem you are describing. I'm not sure what might be causing your issues.

5. Member
    Spinning real? Braid for line? What do you mean slipping? Like the handle and everything slips backwards?

6. Member
    Back in the olden days Lew's had a weird anti-reverse that would not work if the reel was upside down. That's to the best of my memory so don't sue me. If there is too much cold grease on an anti reverse bearing sometimes they don't work intermittently.
    Since all you use are Lew's, there must be something causing this. I will admit you can get some colossal backlashes if a one way bearing malfunctions.
    That's unfortunate.

Clean and oil bearing.

8. Member
    Same here, I have over 20 Lews MB and MG and none have ever had the issues you describe?

9. Member
    The few times my reels have done that it's because I'm putting some pressure on the thumb bar. (or cast button, whatever you call it) Not enough pressure to click it down into free spool but enough to allow some slip. It was all user error in my case.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

10. Banned
    I have 6 or 7 lews. 2 of them that have the same problem. Both are about a year old. Just replaced them with 2 new Daiwa

Quote Originally Posted by TnPuma View Post
    I have a dozen or so Lews reels ranging from high to mid range in price and I would say Half of these have issues with the anti reverse bearing slipping. Jerk , jerk, slip, CUSS or as I'm pulling a Jackhammer from the lake the resistance alone makes it slip, and my all time favorite is when I'm popping my line to free a hung bait, NICE timing.

My question is does anyone else have this problem? I had a couple Shimano's do this and I stopped buying those and went to Daiwa and have had ZERO issues BUT I keep lucking into Lews at a FANTASTIC price and the dumb butt in me keeps thinking maybe these won't slip.

Daiwa from here out for this guy.
    Ive never had any brand lose the anti reverse bearing. abu, shimano, lews, diawa... Are they dirty? how old? Have the ever been serviced?
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

I don’t know who makes the Bass Pro carbonlite baitcasters, but the one I have is terrible with the handle slipping. I put it on the shelf and keep just as a backup.

13. Scraps
    I have about 15 of them and have never experienced something like that even closely. I even sent a couple back to have the multi-stop anti-reverse put back in.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

never seen it on any of mine.

Everything you described happens to 4 of mine.

16. Member
    Have had a few lews amongst about everything else, never had reverse issues... are you servicing your equipment? Wouldn't be something simple like braid slipping?

17. Member
    I currently have probably 7 Lews reels, but I've owned others in the past from low end to middle and have never had a problem with any of them. I have had the problem you speak of develop in reels that I have owned in the past (Daiwa and Abu Garcia), but I'm confident it was because of the amount of torque I was putting on them. I use to do a lot of salmon fishing here is Washington State and the reels (gearing I'm guessing) I would use sometimes, just couldn't handle it. Trying to stop a big king heading down the river can be fun but challenging!
    And by the way....Lew's customer service is EXCELLENT!! I damaged two spools removing the bearings because I didn't have the correct tool, like a DUMBASS. They sent me two used spools that were in excellent condition for $15.00 total delivered to me. Even asked me if I wanted deeper spools than what the reel originally came with. I was shocked! The guys name there was Bob.
    Anyways, good luck with your problem.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Billdoe708 View Post
    Spinning real? Braid for line? What do you mean slipping? Like the handle and everything slips backwards?
    Bait casters not spinning reels. You can be fighting a fish and let go of the handle and it just spins backward as the fish pulls line. I tried to pop a bait loose with one and it backlashed so bad i had to strip the line and respool. They both went in the trash after that day and i ordered 2 new reels

19. Member
    The ones I have issues with are Brand new to less than 3 years old and line type doesn't seem to matter. Yes I service the reels at least once per year and keep them clean and dry other than when I'm fishing. I have had no issues of the spool SLIPPING or FREE spooling when setting the hook only when I pop,jerk, or pull high resistance baits from the water.
    Rather frustrating and I feel like they shouldn't have to be babied in order for them to work.

Other than cleaning has anyone did a bearing upgrade on their reels?

20. Member
    Have over 20 Lews from the MB on up and have never had that issue with any of them

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast