2007 TR 186 With 150 Optimax

Hello all, new to the forum. Im looking at a 07 TR 186 this weekend with 150 Optimax. Seller says it was originally a family members that let it sit for quite a while and motor has very low hours on it. The seller says the local mechanic went thru it , replaced fuel system, water pump, etc. Any other concerns with a boat that sits for a while?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Batteries are likely done. I’d drain whatever is in the gas tank. Tires might be dry rotted. Not sure how pumps and hoses hold up with lack of use but I check them all. Depending on how or where it was sitting it might have had mice or other critters living in it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Check the general bass topics forum, there is a thread rolling right now titled "things to do when buying a boat" and a BassCat rep had a very thorough response. Run through his check list and you'll be golden.
    I'd talk to whatever mechanic allegedly did all that work too.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

4. Member
    I bought an 07 Tr186 2 years ago that had been sitting for a few years that had 80 hrs on motor. Great boat, but be prepared to spend a little up front to get it running right. First thing: Have it checked out by a GOOD mechanic for compression. Replace the water pump if you don't SEE proof that it was changed within the last year...Not running it is harder on the impeller than running it! Now, Sitting is VERY hard on fuel systems! Replaced all fuel lines (including pickup) from tank to motor. I pumped the tank out and pumped the tank out and STILL had issues from it sitting. (Water alarm and gunk in filter). Ended up having the tank cleaned by a professional guy locally and that cured the problem. Only cost around $200 and was well worth it! Rebuilt the fuel pump and replaced the diaphragm. Obviously, I replaced water pump and plugs also. I'm sure there were a few other things I did, but hell, I'm 65 years old, and that was 2 years ago !Lol
    Good luck with the boat. They're a nice boat and the 150 Opti runs well. Any questions, just ask! AND... Welcome to the BBC Zoo !
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

5. Member
    Thanks for the input. I went and looked at the boat yesterday and went back today for a test drive. Everything seems to work, but does need a few things. My biggest concern are some cracks on the top cap as shown in the attached picture. I know its hard to tell from a picture, but looking for some advice as to if these are normal cosmetic IMG_0460.JPGstress cracks, or something else.
    Thanks again for any input.

6. Member
    I am no expert, but for a Boat that age I would not be concerned at all on those cracks. Like I said I’m no expert. I had an 06 TR 186 and I had a couple similar looking small surface cracks, the boat never took on a drop of water and they never expanded, pretty sure you could buff them out and refinish the area, but I never did because of the age of the boat and they never bothered me. I will tell you one thing, I loved that boat. I put a 6 inch jack plate on it, had my motor 3 inches prop to pad, run right at 60 miles an hour with absolutely perfect handling. The only thing I would watch for is blisters under the bunks on the hull. Those years had a problem, most likely you’re OK but it would not hurt to check if you have not already. from what I understand it’s about a $500 repair, but that probably depends on how severe the problem is if any. Good luck, I hope it works out for you
    Last edited by itsahog; 01-19-2020 at 04:26 PM.