2007 Mercury 250 Pro XS or NOT ...?

Mercury 250 pro xs (250XS L 1B479666) Bought a new to me boat with a mercury 2007 Pro XS 250. The previous owner stated that the engine cut off while running. After looking over the motor, I noticed a hole in the long Block. I started researching part numbers, ( on the block 885-9811-C23- Rev B), (PCM 0308m) now I’m thinking that this is a 2004 200hp 4M9XM02CC (air compressors) , with a 250 lower. With all that being said I am confused and needing help on my next step, With the engine.
    Last edited by cjordan310; 01-17-2020 at 02:53 PM.

The pictures are too blurry for me to tell you what the serial tag and PCM have written on them.

Did you know the motor was blown when you bought it???

No matter how long the drive is (3 hours for me) take the rig to European Marine in Greenville, SC. Don Weed owner of European Marine is a moderator here and is the Mercury guru. He will get it all straight for you.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Sorry about the blurry pictures, I will see if I can take some better ones soon. Yes Sir I knew the motor was blown, and was planning on getting a remanufactured one soon. I’ve heard Don is indeed the man to take your boat to as well !

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    3L forum (just a couple down the list) is the best place for this engine.

Unfortunately, what you have there is most like a complete powerhead that was built in December 2003, a 200hp Optimax powerhead. As best I can tell, all components inside the cowling appear to match this description.

The party that sold you this engine should have known this... at least I'm finding it hard to believe someone didn't know.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don. Yeah I too now think that he knew about it, but just wanted to get over on me. Well what’s done is done and now I have to adapt. So I guess it’s time to either rebuild or repower now. I will be talking to you soon Don !

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remind me and we will discuss a full-dressed powerhead as an option.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor