Evidently there actually are some hogs in Chesdin, at least one....

Thumbnails of the photos are off, but at least for me when I open them they are correct, not sure what is with that.

Figured it might be the last warm day for a little while, and while I was a little under the weather, I was off work and thought, I gotta get out. I have been hitting Chesdin via Seven Springs Marina over the last several months since it's close and convenient. Today was one for the books, PB large mouth. I still feel like I was watching someone else catch it, like I was watching from above or something. 7.3 lb in 2-3ft water that was a little high and on a white chatterbait.

Posted on FB, thought I'd share here too to make sure any local guys that watch this forum could see. If my fishing history says anything, this will be another 10-15 years to beat. This was probably my first over 4 lb, definitely over 5.

And it was just a nice day to be out. A bit windy, but I stayed out of the wind. The Champ ran great, loves the choppy water. Nice enough time that I don't even care that I broke the transducer mount on my TM! So that'll be the repair for in the cold down time.

Later all!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Congrats it's got them bug eyes

3. Member
    Sweet. Congrats

4. Member
    Way to go!!! Hell yea!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Nice !!! Congrats.
    Ken Kipler
    South Mills, NC by way of
    CV-43, AS-31, CVN-69, FFG-56, CVN-69, CVN-71
    Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S (2B635878)

6. Member
    That is Awesome!!! The first two look like my normal day there. That HOG is biggest I have seen out of there in a while. I have never caught anything in chesdin over 3lbs.
    Congratulations!!!! Makes we want to try and get out now.
    Semper Fi

7. Member
    double post
    Semper Fi

Been seeing similar results on Chick Lake this week.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

9. Member
    There are some hawgs in Chesdin that can be caught. If you follow Whippernock Marina on FB, you can see that people will pull out 8 to 9lbers from time to time.

https://www.facebook.com/Whippernock...4149242933627/
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

10. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    I caught two 6.5 lb fish on back to back casts one day there a few years back.. since then I've had one good day, the rest have been awful. That place is definitely hit or miss.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Nice. Congrats!
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

13. Member
    Thanks all!!

booter - thanks for that FB link, didn't know they had such a thing.

Hit or miss is right, although I have managed to not get skunked in quite a while. I cannot claim to know the lake real well, I was just following some "basic instinct" I thought I had based on the weather and wind. There is absolutely NOTHING I did that specifically got me that fish, at least I don't think so. Right place and the right time and a moment of not being an idiot.

Chesdin is so close, and I often only have half a day or less to fish, that I will be out there a lot, enough to maybe get a season pass for Seven Springs. So maybe with time I'll figured it out more???.....we'll see. I won't lie, when I realized what I had, my next thought was "Well, this isn't likely to happen again on this lake for a LOOOONG time!!" Ha! She's a tough one for sure. I have tons to learn and never think I have anything figured out....

If you see me in the white and gray Champ, don't be shy, come say Hi.
    Last edited by 1bluemcm; 01-20-2020 at 01:54 PM.

14. Member
    Drop a 10-12" worm on the deep rocks out from the Corvette. Post up some pics.

Nice fish! You are more hardcore than I am - the weather made me chicken out.

I fish Chesdin just about every week and it definitely has some pigs in it. Have two over five for this year. One of them was about the size you caught.

Best time of year for me for big fish is post spawn through mid summer. Have caught several 6+ fish in May/June/July. Had one day where I got three over five in half an hour. Real feast and famine.

I see you launched out of Seven Springs - I've got a maroon and gold Stratos. Say hello if you see me out there.
    Wishing I was Fishing

16. Member
    @bassinman215 Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for ya and would definitely say Hi!

@BigFishSteve - I wish I didn't have to ask, not following you on the Corvette part....but finding rock piles in Chesdin is something I need to do. I really need to take some time and just drive around scanning.

17. Member
    I took some starboard, actually some white azek board and made a piece something like this illustration. Then I epoxied it to my trolling motor. I cut a channel on both sides to keep a giant ziptie in place and zipped my snapped off transducer to it. It works very well. You might be able to understand what I mean, if it helps you. What you're trying to do is fasten two convex surfaces together. There appear to be no issues with shooting through the ziptie. Money's money.

Double Concave Lens In The Figure Above ...
    chegg.com

18. Member
    Leaving the dam heading up the lake, the first set of houses on the left. One of them has a classic car in the big bay window. Straight out from there is a nice rock out crop in deep water. Can be a great spot to hold fish.

Yeah, you got to do some looking around. Big rock up lake below the power line. Nice rock pile up past the boy scout camp. Fish love to is most anytime of year. Sometime they are on them, in them or around the edge on the bottom. But all great places to spend some time and different baits.

Look at aerial images online and find the one where the lake is very low. You can pick out rocks and humps to get you started.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Leaving the dam heading up the lake, the first set of houses on the left. One of them has a classic car in the big bay window. Straight out from there is a nice rock out crop in deep water. Can be a great spot to hold fish.

Yeah, you got to do some looking around. Big rock up lake below the power line. Nice rock pile up past the boy scout camp. Fish love to is most anytime of year. Sometime they are on them, in them or around the edge on the bottom. But all great places to spend some time and different baits.

Look at aerial images online and find the one where the lake is very low. You can pick out rocks and humps to get you started.
    Thanks for the tips! Appreciate it and my kids will too. We purely fish for fun and the challenge of finding the fishies!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I took some starboard, actually some white azek board and made a piece something like this illustration. Then I epoxied it to my trolling motor. I cut a channel on both sides to keep a giant ziptie in place and zipped my snapped off transducer to it. It works very well. You might be able to understand what I mean, if it helps you. What you're trying to do is fasten two convex surfaces together. There appear to be no issues with shooting through the ziptie. Money's money.

Double Concave Lens In The Figure Above ...
    chegg.com

Bill, thanks for the tip. I was thinking about some contraption with aluminum angle, this would potentially be easier, good food for thought.