Thread: Vro pump

Vro pump

I know this is a big debate, but I am curious, should I keep the vro pump on a 96 175 Johnson faststrike. Model J175GLED? I understand that most believe the myths about them, I want to know from the gurus what they think and what they have encountered.

Thanks

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    ABSOLUTELY !

3. Member
    Of course keep it, uses less oil than pre mix and is much better for your motor. I run a 1991 150 intruder I replaced the VRO once. I don't remember for sure but I think that was somewhere about 16 years ago.

4. Member
    Sweet thanks for the input. It will stay. May buy another one if i find a decent price too have a backup

5. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    I add some oil to my tank , like 100:1 don’t really know numbers , but I figure I can at least idle back ramp if my vro goes.
    The manual calls for double oiling mine anyway if you run it hard, JPLEEN225HO 225 HO . I don’t run it hard but it won’t hurt it.
    also run 90 octane pure gas and one ounce sea foam per gallon gas, keep the carbon down.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Of course keep it, uses less oil than pre mix and is much better for your motor. I run a 1991 150 intruder I replaced the VRO once. I don't remember for sure but I think that was somewhere about 16 years ago.
    ^^^This....My 1991 Intruder let me know when the VRO failed with the alarm. That was in 2009. So the first VRO lasted 18 years. Put a new one in, and flawless the past 11 years. It's a very reliable part.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Most times if they do fail you will know it.....they will over oil and smoke a LOT !!

Got the same motor but a 92....great motor . I sometimes put some tw3 in the fuel as a back up just in case it shuts the bad.....enough so I wont really harm and get you back to the launch. to

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Your alarm for No Oil and Low Oil should be periodically tested along with normal maintenance.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Your alarm for No Oil and Low Oil should be periodically tested along with normal maintenance.
    Would just checking the Low Oil alarm suffice since it will have to alarm before the No Oil alarm. Ive ran my 2001 RJ150PLSIG down low enough that the LOW Oil Alarm came on. Ive actually dont this a couple times. Is there another to check them without running your oil down low enough for it to alarm.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

11. Member
    No. A No Oil alarm happens when there is no oil flowing to the outboard so the tank could be full and you would want to make sure the engine is getting the oil. For it's day the warning on the carby E/J were very good, not only told you when you had low oil but would warn the operator that no oil was going to the outboard and would also go into SAFE mode.

12. Member
    Here is something to think about. The low oil and no oil are two different warning horn signals, also they will not cause the motor to go into S.L.O.W..

13. Member
    Correct on this era and it was S.L.O.W, not S.A.F.E. The 1995-1996 era had some changes like from big red connector to deutsch and the warning horn would signal the same with the system check tacho indicating what the problem was instead of the earlier warning with different beeps for different situations.