Thread: Lower Unit

Lower Unit

250 ProXs
    1b737378

Here is another lower unit question. Probably redundant. How can I tell what lower unit I have.

Two reasons for this question.

1) The lower unit was changed out under warranty in 2012
    2) Shift shaft cover on mine is plastic and white. The Mercury Parts site identifies it as part number 858934 and this is cast metal and painted black. Mine is part number...8M0047129. This part number shows up in the Torquemaster II parts list here...

Capture.pdf

So I am confused and need help. Also what shaft length do I have on this motor. 20" or 25"? The motor is attached to a 2009 Champ 206CX

Thank you,

Tom
    Last edited by tomloans; 01-16-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Don can tell by the motor serial number if the motor came with a 20" or 25" shaft. Can also measure the transom height.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    20” on that boat. I think that one shipped with a torquemaster. You can identify using this information: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23727
    I don’t know what the shift shaft carrier on a torquemaster looks like but I know my verado style case has the white plastic carrier.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    20” on that boat. I think that one shipped with a torquemaster. You can identify using this information: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=23727
    I don’t know what the shift shaft carrier on a torquemaster looks like but I know my verado style case has the white plastic carrier.
    Yes the verado is the same as the one I have and it comes with the newer white plastic. There was a replacement under warranty in 2012 and I think they put on a TM II. The old owner had it done so there is no way for me to get the records. Anyways, Don, any feedback would be great.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Don can tell by the motor serial number if the motor came with a 20" or 25" shaft. Can also measure the transom height.
    Here is how it is done apparently and it makes sense.

Attachment 390472

6. Member
    I wouldn’t think a TM2 would have been put on that motor, at least it wasn’t supposed to be. To avoid confusion you probably need to post a picture of your lower.

7. Member
    ^^^^ +1 not unless someone changed trim system to newer blue top tilt cap, is it silver or black,how many water inlets on side, does it have small fin on front lil higher than intakes, propshaft = 1.25in ??????? and or pic, GEN 2 does have white plastic shift seal carrier
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Yes the verado is the same as the one I have and it comes with the newer white plastic. There was a replacement under warranty in 2012 and I think they put on a TM II. The old owner had it done so there is no way for me to get the records. Anyways, Don, any feedback would be great.
    No claims show a gearcase replacement. There were some seals replaced (only).

If you can get one good photo of the gearcase showing a SIDE view, it should be quite simple to identify it for you.

Definitely 20".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    OK Don I will. Problem is my trailer just broke an Axle and it is at the shop. Will be awhile. I will definitely post some pictures.