Another question on Clubs...this one is for me now

ok so im not really one to just go out and get cheap stuff. Im sure a lot of you all are the same way.
    But with Golf I don't want to have $2000 tied up in Irons, Driver woods etc. so is there any reason I should not buy a better set used say from Callaway like some X-Hots or similar. use them for a while and as my game gets better have a golf fitter do some adjustments to them? Or would I be better with just getting a new set fitted for me down the road as my game improves and trade in the starter ones?

2. Member
    Pawn shop, I wouldn't buy new.
    ebay you can get some deals I would not worry about getting fitted too early,
    golf galaxy has a ton of used clubs for sale right now but they are 3 times higher than ebay

you might look online at Dallas golf they seem to have fair pricing.
    play a summer and then decide to drop a grand or so on new irons, don't forget another grand for woods.

3. Member
    Go to Golf Galaxy and try various irons in their demo area. They will change shaft lengths, weights, kickpoints etc to get you dialed in on their machines with different brands. You will see on the screen test the ones that perform better in direction maybe not length. Then the tech helping you should be able to help you understand why the particular club is working for you.
    Then you walk out, no money spent, keeping some young man engaged to help fellow golfers.
    Taking the knowledge gained, then you need to apply it to0 the used clubs available. Golf Galaxy should have those and if not, then look on line for something you would feel comfortable hitting in general. Clubs can be adjusted slightly so ask about the parameters of adjustment with the techs. They love to tell you about this stuff as it is the high end of their help to the golf world. They are glad to help you so don’t be bashful. Use them for their help. Have fun in the process and learn something about clubs and golf. Enjoy!

4. Member
    My $0.02...

I've recently answered this same question for my brother in law. This was the answer I gave him, and it has worked out well.

I referred him here https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

You can save money by buying a product cycle behind what's current, and you can save a TON by buying 2 or 3 generations back. If you're going to buy further back than that, you're probably better off going pawn shop/craigslist/yard sale.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting fitted (at first) unless you're a physical outlier (exceptionally tall or short or really long arms). If you get to the point that you're playing enough to notice a difference, you'll know its time to invest.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    My $0.02...

I've recently answered this same question for my brother in law. This was the answer I gave him, and it has worked out well.

I referred him here https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

You can save money by buying a product cycle behind what's current, and you can save a TON by buying 2 or 3 generations back. If you're going to buy further back than that, you're probably better off going pawn shop/craigslist/yard sale.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting fitted (at first) unless you're a physical outlier (exceptionally tall or short or really long arms). If you get to the point that you're playing enough to notice a difference, you'll know its time to invest.

Thanks for the link to Callaway preowned I thought they had one but I couldn't find it for some reason.
    that will probably be the way I go. I don't need anything super new but would like some decent stuff though.

6. Member
    If you're just starting to play Luke go easy on the club expense and pay for a few lessons with the money you save. If you can keep from developing bad habits when you're just beginning you'll be a much better and a much happier golfer for the rest of your playing days. Without proper fundamentals even the best clubs made won't help you to be a good golfer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Hobbie Hut View Post
    If you're just starting to play Luke go easy on the club expense and pay for a few lessons with the money you save. If you can keep from developing bad habits when you're just beginning you'll be a much better and a much happier golfer for the rest of your playing days. Without proper fundamentals even the best clubs made won't help you to be a good golfer.
    The TRUTH!
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

8. Member
    Talk to your local PGA Professional. Sign up for lessons and get fitted. He/She may own their own shop and can help you out with pricing. Support and shop the local business. I price match any authorized dealer for my customers.
    1990 Cajun 162
    She's my first.

Bass Tracker 40th Anniversary Heritage

9. Member
    I would buy a used set off of global golf. Half the price of new and will be in good enough shape for several years.

Well I managed to pick up a used set cheap from a guy local. Got a full set of Adam's irons callaway big Bertha driver and odyssey hot shot putter a pair of hybrids Cleveland woods a bunch of new balls and a Nike tour bag. All for $40 wife ended up with a womens set of all Cleveland irons kids both got sets also. So will start with them for a while and see how it goes

11. Member
    Wow. That is a great price for some clubs to get started.
    Have fun!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Well I managed to pick up a used set cheap from a guy local. Got a full set of Adam's irons callaway big Bertha driver and odyssey hot shot putter a pair of hybrids Cleveland woods a bunch of new balls and a Nike tour bag. All for $40 wife ended up with a womens set of all Cleveland irons kids both got sets also. So will start with them for a while and see how it goes
    wow! I'll give you $50 today. 25% profit in one day! Can't beat that! I do think Golf clubs may depreciate faster than bass boats! Have fun, long range forecast shows after a cold week, moderating temps return next Sunday. Hit em good!

13. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Golf clubs lose their value in a hurry, so there are tons of good used or non-current stuff out there for good prices. Find some you know that's a pretty good golfer and knowledgeable to help you.

Then take lessons.