Removing tilt/trim on Mariner Mag 150

Mariner Magnum 150, 88 model Ser# 0A943291. Replacing the tilt/trim unit. At the top of the tilt ram is a swivel pin, held in place by a cross pin through the center. All the shop manual says is to drive that pin out with a hammer and punch. It is not budging. Is there a secret that I might be missing, anybody know how that one comes out?

2. Member
    drive it out with big hammer and large punch from stb side remove trim sender first , object is to shear trilobed pin that holds cross pin in place,whoop it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    drive it out with big hammer and large punch from stb side remove trim sender first , object is to shear trilobed pin that holds cross pin in place,whoop it

Thanks for the reply. So what you are referring to as the trilobed pin is what I think I am calling the cross pin, about a 3/16 or so pin. That is what my shop manual tells me to punch out with a hammer. It doesn't move. So there is basically no re-using that pin if I have to shear it off.

4. Member
    You might can knock it out, but clearance might make that impossible to reach. On my newer Opti, I had a punch I "tweaked" so that I could get it on the end of the pin through the hole the pin is in. I have pulled a couple of tri-lobes with diagonal cutters used to grab the head and then use a screwdriver under the diags to pull it out. Last choice is to drive the large cross-pin out, shearing the tri-lobe. Bit harder but it works just fine. The tri-lobe locks the large cross-pin that engages both the tilt bracket, the cylinder ram and the trim/tilt sending unit. If it were not for that tri-lobe pin, the large cross pin could fall out since it is only captured on the trim/tilt sending unit end. Other end is completely exposed.

Do not forget Joe's advice. Remove the sending unit. Or buy a new one. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    You might can knock it out, but clearance might make that impossible to reach. On my newer Opti, I had a punch I "tweaked" so that I could get it on the end of the pin through the hole the pin is in. I have pulled a couple of tri-lobes with diagonal cutters used to grab the head and then use a screwdriver under the diags to pull it out. Last choice is to drive the large cross-pin out, shearing the tri-lobe. Bit harder but it works just fine. The tri-lobe locks the large cross-pin that engages both the tilt bracket, the cylinder ram and the trim/tilt sending unit. If it were not for that tri-lobe pin, the large cross pin could fall out since it is only captured on the trim/tilt sending unit end. Other end is completely exposed.

Do not forget Joe's advice. Remove the sending unit. Or buy a new one. :)
    Thanks. Yeah, the first thing I did was remove the sending unit (one of the mounting screws broke off, yet one more "thing"). Man, I'm not sure I have room to get to the pin with diagonal cutters.

6. Member
    PIC I never try to remove trilobed pin ive got a large punch about 15 in long that I use and BIG ball pinus hammer
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    PIC I never try to remove trilobed pin ive got a large punch about 15 in long that I use and BIG ball pinus hammer
    +1

Get you a MUCH bigger hammer (you know, a "hold me " size).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks guys for all the help and info. About three little love taps with a 3 lb sledge hammer and it sheared the trilobed pin right off. Headed to my local Merc dealer now to see if they have replacement pin in stock, if not I guess a snug fitting cotter will suffice until I can locate one. I didn't realize that pin was designed to be expendable, and the shop manual doesn't tell you that tidbit of info. Anyway, it's done so now I can get on with swapping out the trim/tilt unit. Thanks again guys.