521 and trolling motor selection

What are you folk running as far as trolling motors on your 521's 24 or 36 volt. Mine currently came from factory with a 54 inch, 80lbs 24 volt minnkota and it suffices. But Ive always thought you cant have too much trolling motor so im strongly leaning going 36 volt ultrex

So to those who have 24 volt trolling ultrex's on their 521 (if there are any out there) is it strong enough. Another battery and having to go to a 4 bank charger are my only reasons for not wanting to go 36 volt.

Also, how many think the 45 inch ultrex is sufficient for big water fishing? My last Ranger a 195VS had the 45 inch and only on a rare occasion did i feel the 54 would have been nice. Could i get by with the 45 or should i stay with 54 inch? Pro's and Con's ?

2. Member
    I've got a 2004 521 that when purchased had an 24v 80 lb Motorguide, and the first time fishing in wind all day it ran out of battery, so I immediately upgraded it to a 36V 101 lb Maxxum, then to a 36V 112 Foretrex, and most recently to a 36V 112 Ultrex which by far is the best of the bunch. All of them were 45" and have been plenty long for how I fish.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I always advise 45 inch for most bass boats if you fish at least 50% shallow water, especially around overhanging docks and low branches, because the 54 inch when raised for shallow water can lead to rod breakage on sidearm or roll casts. I fish about 20% big water, including out in the middle of Lake Erie, and prefer the 45 inch on my boat. Here’s the thing, though, a 521 is a very big boat, so it’s a lot to get moving from a standstill, or when mired in weeds, or fighting current, and 36 volt is the only way to go on that boat and be sure to have no regrets. Also, for 2 reasons, if I had a 521 I’d have a 54 inch trolling motor on it. First, if I had a hull that big I probably would be farther out from the docks and brush, and fish them less frequently altogether, and thus wouldn’t need to employ as many underhand and roll casts. And if I had a 521, I’d be way out in the rough stuff more than I presently am in my 519. Prior to my 519, I fished for 4 years from 520s, and they [2012, 2014 models] both had 45-inch Fortrexes on them and did fine. But my style of big-water fishing seldom involves video-game fishing in 3-foot breakers. If yours does, you *certainly* want a 54 inch troller.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

I want to echo what jc2bg has to say. I have the 521 and it absolutely needs the 36V. I fish 90% open water and its "video games". A lot of inland lakes in Minn where you wouldn't need that but a day on MilleLacs may change your mind. Its all a matter of what you fish most. What I like a lot about mine is I can set the spot lock and then move around from front to back on the boat. Fishing from the back with the nose pointed in the wind you will appreciate the extra shaft length to keep the prop down in the chop. whereas if I am standing on the bow pointed in the wind with 2 -3' waves coming in my extra weight in the front will cause rollers to come over the front deck.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I have a 521 and fish in rough water all the time. I have a 45” Fortrex 101 on it now but will go to a longer shaft as soon as I can figure out which way I’m going to go with new electronics.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    Thanks folks that what i was looking for.